2000 Mount Vision rear disc mount

RickTheUncivil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
So, this was a few months ago...
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=316547

Didn't get anywhere finding a proper one, I dont think they actually exist. So, this is my Mk1 bracket, fashioned by my own fair hands from an offcut of 6mm alu:

Its not perfect, but not bad for a hand tools jobbie. This one was pretty much a case of hold the caliper where I think it goes, make a mark with a pen, cut the holes and then pray, but it worked. As with the bracket Im working on for the RC150s ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=154559 ), I'm hoping the workshop guys at work can be persuaded to make something pretty from this template for me. One day.

Attachments

• MV rear bracket Mk1.JPG
    MV rear bracket Mk1.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,059
Re:

Not bad at all, with your permission I may just pinch your design for one of my Mount Visions ;)
Just one small point I'd use washer to avoid direct contact (bolt head to Alu).

Use a cardboard template then transfer to al so you woukdnt need to slot the bolt holes, seach my pist on hos to make similar for a gary fisher, shows the stages from cardboard to final piece.

Generally the mounts and adapter are at least 8 mm thick.

Nevertheless, good effort, i know how long these things can take to make using hand tools.

Oh, and you dont want to be using raw Al but a stronger alloy, ebay is your friend for sourcing Al plate.

I slotted the bolt holes to see how it fitted, based on the cardboard template that was held by hand and squinted at i think its pretty close but didnt expect it to be perfect.
I need to double check the measurements on the disc, I think its a 160mm but want to make sure before I progress
As for the thinckness, I think its 6mm plate, and it bolted straight on with no spacers and lined up perfect, very surprised.
Not sure what the material is exactly, but if/when i get the CAD/CAM guys on Mk2 Im sure they will do something proper with the job.

And RobMac, I didn't put a washer in as the bolt was only 10mm long (all I had handy) so didn't want to put any less thread into the caliper than was available!

If you search for it, you'll find a drawing for the Whyte PRST-1 brake adapter on-line. The real parts are rarer than rocking horse dung, but they're easy to replicate, and also fit marins from the same era.

Back