When a woman doesn't know what she wants....

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
....she can't put up a 'wanted' ad! :LOL:

Here's my dilemna/dilemma/problem....another full sus frame has let me down before it even got on the road, so I've decided to get myself something hard tail and just forget the whole full sus thing, there's too many things to go wrong and actually I don't like suspension. No, really, I don't.

Missed out by a gnat's whisker on a Cove (ahem) Hand Job on the bay (too slow on a BIN) but that's what I'd really like, a modernish hard tail frame that will take the good kit I now have. Well, a set of Hope brakes and some nice disc wheels. I've also got a couple of 31.6 seat posts, a lovely XTR 34.9 front mech, decent XT chainset (self extracting bolts!!! What a revelation! :shock: ) and a couple of Hope seat clamps, one in Trek style specific 36.4.

Can I build a bike around a seat post and clamp just because I like them? Shall I just sell all the kit and buy another retro Kona? (Bearing in mind it's almost impossible to sell anything at the mo) What's good, what's not, and do I perhaps need to get out more??

oh dear! Sounds like one of my sagas but worse, still don't know which bike i'm meant to be building or riding! :D

Building around a seatpost or stem always gets a bit off course! Defo sounds like my style!
So my Trailstar still isn't right for your bits n pieces? It's still here and moonlighting on eBay again, I'm tempted to sell it even if it is excess! Largely XC classic geometry and compact, the weight doesn't feel too bad had my TS Classic out last week and I can see why they were popular for general stuff even though they rightfully are too small for me, but its no springy XC thing. Kinesis Decade Virtue? That'd do it, I've still got one but it's not for sale unless its the person i bought it off, worth a look if the seat tube is in good nick. Dialled? Pipedream? Cotic? Sanderson? Stanton? Cove again? Genesis? ...
HTH :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Thanks chaps! I think..... :facepalm:

Did consider the DMR again, but TBH it's the weight, I may as well get another little Hahanna frame. The Hand Job would be too big for me at that length, ahem.... :oops:

That Cotic looks lovely but too much money I think for me. For now I have bought a little lightweight Giant frame off the bay, cheap as chips and missing a rear mech hanger, but that's easily sorted I suppose. Will build that up and have some fun, otherwise at this rate I'm just putting the nobblies back on the Karma Kona and forgetting about having it as a road bike! :roll:

Cotic would be a good buy if its straight, yeah a Soul would be nicer but they are still lightish, I've yet to test mine with its lighter build. Giant isn't a bad idea, I really wanted an STP so an XTC or something would be good if looked after.

Re:

If you like Kona's you'd love a Soul , my main steed's a Soul and retromod is a Lavadome , apart from fork length they both ride very similar but the Soul has that something extra that just makes you want to take it out and abuse it . Worth the bit extra for the 853 frame imo. Apologies for the wolfguard but it was minging at the time I took the pic and it is retro :D

Attachments

• 3 offroaders.jpg
    3 offroaders.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 724
I got the Bfe, mostly cos I had some 150mm Marzocchis nothing shorter, plus it was £170 cheaper. Same Geometry though so a Soul on shorter forks would be nice.

did you get the Giant in the end?

I know of a silly light carbon Giant frame in a small size about to go up for sale...

Re:

Well, I bought and paid for the little Giant the other day so I assume it'll be on it's way soon, but thanks for the info and pics guys, I may still be in the market long term for something else more modern.

BCMax, is it the one on ebay now...? XTC?

Back