bike weights

Re:

Retro early 90s then probably about <23 lb.

At least for me that was always the target with suspension.

Edit: <23lb would be very light weight. 23 to 24lb would be lightweight. 24 to 25lb would be a normal weight and 25+lb is need to diet (or couldn't give a toss)
This is for front sus., full sus add a pound probably. Normal/rigid then probably half a pound off but to be honest it probably the same as front sus as that was one of the aims when building front sus.

Much easier to recreate now as tyres are that much lighter for better. Which to be honest is where you can make the quickest saving.

Also take a mid 90s frame and they are lighter by about half a pound (unless you spent a fortune in the early 90s or went Aluminium)

Modern 26 in, 3 x 9, large frame, hydraulic disc brakes, inc pedals, tubed
< 9 kg hardtail with suspension fork
< 10 kg full suspension

The above is easily achievable, my lightest one are 0.5 kg less
The ultra weightweenies have knocked a further 1.5 kg.

My DH bike weighs around 30lb, my LBS said it was rather heavy but I have friends who ride bikes which weigh more.

I would like a lighter hardtail for the softer trails and short rides.

you can buy off the peg road bikes in the 5kg range now, not cheap but you can

anything over 10kg (without guards etc) is weighty really.

Re:

My late 90s all mtn full susp ride with wide tires weighs under 9 kg (<20 lb).. It's my heaviest bike, quite the drag, and I wouldn't definitely not say it's light wight

Trek claim their Emonda SLR 10 is the lightest production road bike in the world

it's 4.65 KG. it's £11000, but you can just go into a trek dealer and order one.

you'd need to strap over 2kg of weights to it before you could race it

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/ro ... slr_10_h1/

4.65kg is for a size 56 as well, so no cheating by weighing a tiny one

Back