Thinking of going 1 x 10, any advice?

shedobits

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Armchair expert here. :) Has anyone here done it? Two questions really.

Planning on 30 X 40 or 42 which do you recommend?

After I fit a narrow wide chainring is a clutch rear mech a must?

All advice listened to.

Thanks all.

Clutch mech is a must, as you then don't need any chain device, I run 30x36 with a zee short arm mech, probably better going 32x40/42 as I find top end a bit too low speed on the flat, but it doesn't bother me.

Clutch mech and n/w should mean you don't need a chain device.

You might need one anyway. Make sure it's in the budget.

Re:

I'm running 32T N/W with an upper/lower chain device and 11-36 rear with a medium cage non-clutch X9 mech. Was perfect for the Alps in the summer (not much climbing admittedly!) and has been fine locally though I've had to work on a couple of climbs when tired. SRAM mechs are supposed to shift better on the 40/42T expander sprockets, and I like the light shift action of a non-clutch mech.

Re:

1) don't

2) if you must. Go for it and fit 11-40 11speed. Why faff with just 10.

Nothing like putting all you ratios into ever narrowing mud grabbing twig and grass grabbing cassettes.

I have 1x10 on my Sherpa and its great. Xt short clutch mech 42 tooth nw hope ring and sram chain. All works very well, not dropped the chain once yet. Dont worry about chains wearing out they are cheapnas chips and i change mine a few times a year to save cassette wear anyway.

Make sure you use a triple chainset though as the doubles don't give the best chainline.

I also got some of the raceface blanking tabs to make the single ring look nice. They are the same price as the shorter chainring bolts but mean you can use the origional ones. And it looks better.

Back