Cannondale 2002 Lefty tools

The Malcolm

Retro Guru
I have just bought a Cannondale F800 with 2002 lefty. Trying to get the cartridge out to service the cartridge. It feels like it need topped up with oil and most likely the seals replaced.

I have the top half of the KT004 tool which I managed to get on ebay cheaply. This fits ok but I need the little kidney tool that goes below it. I recon I could make one but I wanted to check some dimensions. Does anyone have this tool? That I could get some dimensions from or even borrow :oops:

This is a link to the KH04. I appreciate it can be bought in the UK but its a hell of a price.

http://www.cannondale-parts.de/epages/6 ... ucts/KT004

I have the headshok removal KH031 tool already and I am sure the dimensions of the business end will be the same as the kidney tool but I just want to check.

Cheers
Bruce

I also have some leftys in need of a service are there any videos online with step by step guides

Re:

There is some youtube footage but the stuff I have found is mainly concerned with the bearing reset of the more modern leftys. I found the link below very useful for the removal of the cartridge from the 2002 lefty. The cartridge overhaul is the same as the headshok cartridge more or less once removed.

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/232081/

how did you get on with this
I need to do mine but don't have the specific cannondale tools

Re:

I managed to get both the top and bottom half of the tool on eBay. So I now have a spare top section. I was thinking of selling. If I get time may copy the bottom half before selling.
Been too busy with work to try the tool and will be away for the next 4 weeks so will up date in the new year when I get a chance to use it.
Bruce

Re:

Yes it's the top half. I didn't think it would be much interest to anyone without the bottom half. Are you in need of the top half?

can you put a photo of the tools you have please

as I need to get some an not sure what I m looking for

Re:

It'll depend on which year/variation of Lefty you have because Cannondale in their wisdom seemed to have a different tool for each type of Lefty/Headshok.
Have a look here http://www.vintagecannondale.com/cannon ... dshok.html and you can see which tool is required to remove the damper cartridge from each Lefty/Headshok. The tool number is at the bottom of the details for each Headshok/Lefty. I have 2 Leftys, a 2000/1 which needs a HDTL200 and a 2001 Lefty Titanium which needs a KT004 tool. Both these tools come in 2 parts as well. :facepalm: I now have 2 tools, one KT004 and another for removing cartridge from Headshoks but this tool still can't be used on one of the Headshoks I have. :evil:
I still need the HDTL200 for the other Lefty. :roll: It is a pain in the arse.

Bruce has some pics of the Headshok tool he bought, as did I, on one or other of his threads. The details about this tool said it was the ultimate, or words to that effect, Headshok/Lefty tool as it supposedly superseded the older ones. Aye, right.

Latest posts

Back