Chains

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
2 questions.Whats the most durable and sweet shifting 9 speed chain out there?When storing away cable what do you use to stop it fraying?Im giving Araldite a go....

Re:

Im erring toward KMC.For some reason Im getting through a few XTR/Durace chains.Looks like soldering is the way to go,I assume a crimp is unnecessary after the end is soldered?

Shimano chains are beautifully quiet and smooth, but for me last as long as if they were made of pasta. SRAM or KMC work for me.

Change the chain often. A checker is a must for a cyclist. Save a fortune
Its probably the best way to keep the changes sweet.

Re:

i guess durable and sweet shifting do not go together, i have had a xtr chain on a rig for 2 years but i ran it into the ground - in the end the big ring cracked and i had to replace EVERYTHING. but shifting was always faultless. ive had one kmc x9sl gold (?) it did not shift great for me but was light.
ive now gone for changing the chain more often to keep the rings and cassette nicer, but im now running deore chains, the shiftings good on them too, it is heavy and higher maintenance though.

I'm a Sram man when it comes to chains. Shimano chains seem to be made of cheese; I'm no powerhouse monster but I've suffered a lot of broken Shimano chains. Their joining pin is silly too....power link or similar all the way fir me.

I've not used KMC chains but I've heard lots of good things about them. I'm using their connector links now that 10 speed Sram ones aren't reusable and need yo be split with a chain breaker.

Back