Problem with hydraulic brake.

Kona-Ian

Senior Retro Guru
Ok, my own fault, didn't use bike for a while.
Did pump levers every now and then but the rear brake still decided to seize.

Took pads out, freed inner and outer piston, both move nice now with the pads back in, brake feels nice.

Now the problem, have a spare disc and you have to push it between the pads and when the disc is located in the pads the lever doesn't move at all.

Take disc out and the pads move back and forth and lever feels great.

:?

Re:

hi mate,

I think you have too much hydraulic fluid in you line, maybe due to pumping the brake with no disc in allowing the the caliper pistons to move further out.

you will need to bleed some fluid to allow the caliper pistons to retract fully.

what kind of brakes are you using?

Liam

Never touched the fluid yet, to be fair they haven't done much work and are about 2 years old.
Being a second bike.
They are Formula oro K18's.

Thanks for the reply.

Just to repeat, the calipers go back gently with a screwdriver and the piston, in and out now move freely.

They just don't go back enough... the disc is tight.

If they worked fine before being layed up for a couple of months you deffo think removing fluid will help?

Chopper1192":2xbzqvx8 said:
This can happen on those in the hot weather. Bleed a bit out and they should recover, but really they're due a service and new fluid.

I find that happens with Formula R1 if left standing for a long while - basically the lever gets tight as the pads are touching the disc. Pressing the lever and undoing the bleed screw to release a bit of fluid - lever maybe is halfway - fixes the problem.

I notice your brakes are Fromula too so probably of similar design and hence similar problems.

Latest posts

Back