hope pro 2 help - end cap removal woes

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I need to replace the rear bearings, I've bought these and watched tutorials online so know the theory. The practice however is causing me issues. After much wrangling I finally managed to get the non drive end cap off, but I can't seem to do the same for the drive side. Some tutorials show it simply being pulled off by hand, others use a vice, which sadly I don't have. Does anyone have any helpful hints as to how I can get this part off. No amount of pulling with pliers is working, though I can get it to move side/side or rock back and forth. I have a work bench that I have attempted to clamp it to but as it's wood, it pulls through. I've left it soaking in penetration oil, but should it really be this much trouble?

Re:

Don't want to sound smart but are you sure it's a pro 2 , if it is they just pull off , if it's the earlier (very similar) whatever they call it (may be a XC) there's a circlip if I remember correctly , there's a vid on the hope website of how to do both (separate vid for pro 2/evo and the XC).
I've got a Pro 2 on the Soul and an XC on the Lava Dome so have had to suss them both out .
Matthew

Always worth checking, they are indeed pro II according to the markings on the hub. Like you, I have seen vids on the hope site and they pull off with ease, hence my confusion and plea for help.

Every Hope end cap ever just pulls off - except the first ones that had tiny grub screws you had to loosen first. But some are more stubborn than others....

It really was stubborn, almost welded on with dirt and neglect. Now on the other hand, smooth as silk. Bearings all replaced, just need the springs and she's as good as new. I think the previous owner thought that by pumping every orifice and hole with grease, all would be well with the hub, even the spacer void was greased???

Re:

Removal of the Hope Pro II adaptors is nigh on impossible if the wheels have been neglected. I bought a pair of wheels with Pro II Hubs as I was looking to convert the front to 20mm, it took me an age and a lot of swearing to remove the 9mm adaptors, even managing to remove one of the bearings in the process. So if anyone tells you it's a doddle, it ain't.

Kind Regards

Liam

The wheels are rebuilt now and work like a charm. Caps now slide on and off as they should, plus with new springs and pawls fitted, sound lovely. Fresh bearings too mean they are silent and smooth. They won't be getting neglected now I own them. Just need to build the bike now....

Back