A problem solved

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Ive a couple of hope bulb rear shells completely bare,not even a ratchet ring. One i popped up on ebay the other i thought id retain.
After emailing hope they tell me theyve no more bulb ratchets. Oh poo says I(or words to that affect) so what to do with it.
Salt and pepper shakers :? I could turn some nice exotic top and base and turning suppliers make the end seal caps so it would be a project likely to be completed this year, or whenever the lathe is next in use.

Then i had a thought. About 6 months ago i picked up a rear bulb 150mm for £20 as one of the flanges had snapped. Its sat around destined for a pepper/chilli flakes shaker or something but more of a project as id have to clean up the broken flange.

:idea: Why not swop over the ratchet rings :shock: :facepalm:
Problem now solved and the 150mm was in mint condition otherwise so the ratchet ring is also in mint condition.
Got me to thinking a bit as a source of ratchets for maybe the other hub shell. 150mm are down hill not up hill so the ratchets would likely not suffer the same wear and stress as an XC which is lots of uphill. (especially with the macretro :roll: )

I hacked off the end of the hub to make it easier to grip in the vice and less metal to cut. Cut nearly through on opposite sides and a steel wedge driven in to split it and one side of the flange fell away. Due to the cuts being not exactly half i had to make another cut then thumped that bit off also and the ratchet ring came free.
Needless to say ive touched the threads on the ratchet but its threaded into the bulb 135mm shell without catching so im well chuffed and the jobs a good 'un :D

NOTE- I need to clean the little alloy saw dust ff the teeth, didnt notice till the pic. Engagement teeth are perfect.

Attachments

• Replacing Ratchet in Hope Bulb rear hub 005 (Custom).JPG
    Replacing Ratchet in Hope Bulb rear hub 005 (Custom).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,251
  • Replacing Ratchet in Hope Bulb rear hub 006 (Custom).JPG
    Replacing Ratchet in Hope Bulb rear hub 006 (Custom).JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,251
  • Replacing Ratchet in Hope Bulb rear hub 003 (Custom).JPG
    Replacing Ratchet in Hope Bulb rear hub 003 (Custom).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,251
The broken bulb sat there for long enough. Should have come up with this idea sooner :oops:

Another wrecked bulb rear in today, this one had snapped rotor mounts ,and judging from the rust colour they werent greased so probably snapped coming out :? Either way its good for me :D 2nd ratchet ring recovered. Along with all the other bits, ti freehub etc :D all in all a productive day.

Re:

Think you could work out a tool to do it so you don't have to hack the hub apart?

That blue one you sent me ages ago is well worn but my own silver is fine.. I want to use the blue hub but not in its current state!

Re: Re:

boxxer":25aoalkg said:
Think you could work out a tool to do it so you don't have to hack the hub apart?

That blue one you sent me ages ago is well worn but my own silver is fine.. I want to use the blue hub but not in its current state!

Pillar drill and a series of holes around the edge :? then something akin to a hope BB tool.
Or a solid wheel type tool with mirror image teeth that fits exactly in the middle. I think the latter might be something like the actual tool hope must use.
Even then i think it would be tight. I dont see grease being used

I knew the blue one was a bit worn but thought it would have been ok. Sorry if i put you to any trouble Craig :)
Typically, ive now got the front for the blue one :facepalm:

Re:

Eck has my silver front so technically I have 2 pairs.....

I might try to pick up a destroyed one and Dremel the blue one out... Would be easier with a propr fixture / tool though!

Re: Re:

boxxer":1nle6jgp said:
Eck has my silver front so technically I have 2 pairs.....

I might try to pick up a destroyed one and Dremel the blue one out... Would be easier with a propr fixture / tool though!

I'd go that route Craig. I looked at trying to get them out and save the hub but it became obvious quite quickly that without the proper tool something was not going to survive :? Drilling the ratchet to create pin hole to grab would weaken the ring where it could shatter . Remember its hardened.
In the end i though the best solution for take a hub that couldnt be used, broken flange/broken rotor mount that type of injury :? and just cut it out
Obviously the trick is finding the best hub ,one that doesnt look like its had a hard life or had a lot of strain put on it. I looked at the 150mm as theyre mostly for down hill and although the rapid clicking would cause some wear, not nearly as much as something like an XC where the hub pawls mostly being engaged.

;) Not just a pretty face you know

TBH i think we should all start doing this

Righto bump

I'd another ratchet ring to find which has just turned up as a busted Big Un(usual disc mounts snapped)

So. When it arrives ill be getting the trusty hacksaw out and will add and talk through it with lots of pics.

As ever, the reasons are these parts arent made and are hard to get hold of. Even the Ti freehub is pricey so a busted hub can prove to supply quite a pile of goodies that youd otherwise never find.
For the outlay of £25 i get the ratchet ring i need for the other bulb, along with the ti freehub and im left with an axle and spacer, both of which are hard to come by and could realize a tenner.

You have the description- This time ill do it i pics :cool:

Back