Vuelta pro deep carbon wheel ...noise from hub/freehub

will911

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Today a mate left his rear wheel with me complaining of a sharp cracking noise which he demonstrated to me while pedalling slowly past me.. they are vuelta deep carbon clinchers and while it spins sweetly, its a rear one and the freehub doesn't seem to have any stiction ..the noise is present under load as i witnessed. i tried a decent mavic kyrsrium and noise is gone... so before i start to dismantle this has anyone any experience of these boyos , i did some googling and i think i can raise spares in the states although bearings should be available here.. freehubs might be a different situation however.. will

RESULT... stripped cassette and hub removed freehub to discover that probably only 1 of the three pawls was gripping here was so much crap and dirty grease or lack of inside, after and hour of cleaning pawls, the inserts they sit in, and the splines assembled with marine grease and hey.. its like a mouse chewing paper.. guy has now it tested in his machine and it no longer sounds like dry sticks breaking.. the freehub was well indented by the shimano cassette, i had to file the sharps down.. will

Back