Kona advice needed

shinobi

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all
Had one of those " my mate has an old bike in the garage" chats with a guy i know yesterday , from what i can make out from the description and very limited info its a Kona cowan of about 2005 or 2007 also going on his very unflattering description of the colour :LOL:
anyway i understand this is a kind of "jump bike" ? wondered if this could be built up as a xc bike ? ie double or triple chainset , geometry , sizing etc ? like a Santa Cruz Chameleon maybe ? i would appreciate any info i can get as i know nothing about these .
Cheers Paul

Re:

Hi mate, sorry for the late reply, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to run a triple chainset, I think the large frame was a 17 inch so that should be ok. I've no idea about weight, but I reckon by using some lighter components it wouldn't be too bad. They are jump specific frames, so at least you won't need to worry about it breaking!

Re:

Yes there is that i guess :D have to wait n see what comes of it , if its cheap enough i might be able to buy it and swop it for a more xc specific frame .
cheers Paul.

True mate, or you might ride it and love it! If it's cheap enough I reckon you should go for it, you should be able to get £80 to £100 for the frame alone.

markwashington":1x9a6a4f said:
True mate, or you might ride it and love it! If it's cheap enough I reckon you should go for it, you should be able to get £80 to £100 for the frame alone.
you never know ! although my FSR and my M2 have gathered dust ever since i finished the Fisher :LOL:
Cheers Paul

Re: Re:

shinobi":vm2qt6ri said:
yes thats the model i thought it was too :D have to wait n see , he might want silly money for it anyway ! could you fit a double chainset to that do you know ?
cheers Paul
I think it was about £850 when it was new, although it perhaps doesn't look it with the drab paint job. I feel sure you could fit a double chainset if you wanted - if you look at the Stuff, that had the same frame and a double plus bash. The quoted weight was 31.9lbs, which is a lot by my (xc) standards, but not all that much more than the Cinder Cone which was said to weigh 30.4.

Re: Re:

Anthony":1l7fxnte said:
shinobi":1l7fxnte said:
yes thats the model i thought it was too :D have to wait n see , he might want silly money for it anyway ! could you fit a double chainset to that do you know ?
cheers Paul
I think it was about £850 when it was new, although it perhaps doesn't look it with the drab paint job. I feel sure you could fit a double chainset if you wanted - if you look at the Stuff, that had the same frame and a double plus bash. The quoted weight was 31.9lbs, which is a lot by my (xc) standards, but not all that much more than the Cinder Cone which was said to weigh 30.4.
Hi , yes that is a pretty big lump to drag up the hills lol ! im suprised at the Cinder Cone weight too :shock: the only other info i have managed to get is that it has black marzocchi forks is missing a brake and is a size "m" although i didnt think Kona used that sizing method ?
Thanks again for the info
cheers Paul

If it is an 07, it's got cable guides for a front mech so you could run it with an FD.

It probably won't make a great XC bike though....it'll be heavy and pretty harsh because it was designed and built for thrashing about on.

Back