cheeky

Re:

He's got quite a retro bike selling business going on there! There's a very nice fire mountain in his other listings too.

Re:

He's been doing it for years now. Buy, smarten up and sell on.
Other people buy, pull apart and sell on.
Some people buy, full refurb, build and sell on.
Others buy. Store for years and sell on.

That's more than cheeky!

I'm no being funny fluffy, but I don't see £220 worth of smartening up there. Maybe £50 worth for a couple of hours work which leaves £170 of pure profiteering! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on that sort of thing, but I'm glad I know the cut of his jib so I can avoid any auctions of his in the future.

Re:

Not sure he sells many, prices drop and go up over time. Who's to say it didn't go cheap the first time.

But its not you or me he's after to buy it. EBay has a much larger user base.
It's only the same as buying from a carboot then selling on for more. Or buying a house in the low price period, giving it some psi t and selling on for more than it cost to renovate... Like many a TV probram does, Just this is more visible.

Personally,
I also find it hard to attempt to make a profit as I tend to give away cheap purchases or sell to mates at what it cost me. Hence I have plenty of tat lol.

I think the issue here is that the market has already decided the value of the bike, so while it is in exceptional condition, £375 buys you a lot of bike on Ebay now-a-days, I'd say it was nearer to £250 in value, and even that would be pushing it. Still more power to them if they manage to sell for that price. A fool and his money etc!

Re:

He's a long term member on here. He never outs his own auctions on here or buys of here cheaply then ebays them for profit. I think it's ok? Trying to earn a few quid by doing something he likes? Why not? He's not harming us or being shifty on here? In the past I've seen members receive things karma on here then eBay them :facepalm:

this is how the world gos round, do you think tescos realy pay the £1 they sell there frozen sweetcorn for, good look to him, as above could of been mega cheap when he found it

Bit of Wheeler Dealers going on there, but I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with it - he buys items that are good bargains - the originally seller did himself no favours by listing the bike as "collection only" which severely limits his buyer market. The difference in price is probably as related to the spruce-up as it is to the fact that he won't package the bike up as post it.

I am not saying it is right nor am saying it is wrong - just cheeky instant profiteering - nothng needed doing to that bike and it was sold well under what I would say it was worth, my estimate about £ 250. And it didn't help getting it sold by not offering postage.

Back