Confused about chainline

sevendave

Retro Newbie
Right, I'm trying to replace my Deore XT M737 crankset with a Deore XT M751 crankset that I bought on ebay. The seller said that the crankset was square taper and it's not, it's octalink, so I've been looking at new bottom brackets, but I'm utterly confused about the chainline.

At the moment I have a 28.6mm diameter M737 seatpost mount derailleur, M737 crankset and a UN72 68x107mm bottom bracket, which gives me a front chainline of 50mm or so, which seems too much already. Am I right in guessing that if I get a 68x118mm octalink bottom bracket, my chainline at the front is going to get screwed up, going above 50mm? I can't get my head around it for some reason, can anyone help me please?

Ahh yeah, should've checked the Tech Docs, found the answer right away! Thanks for the offer, but I picked up a cheapy 68x113 octalink BB yesterday after I worked it out in a roundabout way - half the spindle length minus the distance from the middle chainring to the edge of the spline mounting part, so (113/2)-9 = 47.5mm. Hopefully the cheapy BB works, it's an ES25.

Latest posts

Back