Fox forx - servicing and internals swap help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I posted this in the pre 97 forum but think I may be aiming at the wrong market there, so thought I'd cover all bases and post here two, so apologies if you read the same thing twice:

I've had some lowers and uppers sprayed up and I want to use the crown/steerer from one set (unmarked stantions, long steerer and crown resprayed black), internals from another (stantions slightly marked and steerer not long enough, but internals were serviced recently and are fully working), and finally I want to use a set of v brake lowers I had sprayed black.

The lowers are from some rlc forks, the other parts I am using are some f80x (terralogic).

If I want to do the swap/transplant above, does anyone know what needs to be done enough to walk me through the process?

Having read through the manual, I know the basics in terms of getting the forks apart, but my brain can't cope with the putting back together at the moment. Do I just slot it all back together as it came out or do I need to add oil before bolting it all up??

As for the internal swap, I've never attempted this before. Can the I internals simply be lifted and shifted from one set of stantions to the other? If so, what do I need to do to get this done?

I want I make sure the forks are of course safe to use after all of this has been done, so anyone with any advice, experience in doing this before I have a go and potentially ruin two good forks would be welcomed.

Thanks

Ian I'm not sure about this, but I was looking at reducing the travel in a set of 100m Fox.

It seemed quite a complicated procedure to me just to do that, I think its the air valve side you will find complicated.

will watch with interest.

I know have aquired a set of F80 RLC so no travel reduction required :)

Cheers. I've looked at the manual and it doesn't seem so bad in some respects. I'd be happy to lift and shift the longer crown/stantion/internal assembly into the v brake lowers, but I'd prefer to use the internals from the forks I've owned and had serviced as I know their history and mileage and that they have had an easy commuter life. The others I'm not sure about as they were an eBay purchase.

I'm not sure what the internals are like in your forks, but the ones in my 36's seem quite complicated with little rubber bladders. They also use two different oil weights and the crush washers need replacing whenever you take them apart.

I found some good instructions online for mine, but they do look like a pain in the bum to service, so I'll be sending mine to J Tech.

Back