Rear Shock Maintenance.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
This is my first post in this section! Both my children have Specialized Hotrocks. No other bikes in the house have rear suspension. Do I need to do regular maintenance beyond keeping the thing clean? If so, what do I need to do?

Thanks from a cycling Luddite.

What are the shocks on those bikes?

Some shocks are very basic and require little to no maintenance apart from keeping them clean.

Other shocks do need servicing.

Thanks Andy. They have their bikeability thing at school this week so I've been cleaning and fettling.

We used to get a few bikes in where the kid had bikeability or whatever and the parent always mentioned it needed to be perfect. Why is this?

cyfa2809":25t54mu1 said:
We used to get a few bikes in where the kid had bikeability or whatever and the parent always mentioned it needed to be perfect. Why is this?
Because it needs to work properly! It doesn't need to be perfect; just a bit better than the average numpty dad can manage, and the sad thing is, the mum knows her husband is useless! useless with bikes, useless in the kitchen, useless in the bedroom...
just useless!

Haha!
Im not saying we used (I) to send out bikes that didnt work (without good reason etc.), but do they check them at bikeability?
I do recall it used to be mainly women saying it though.

suburbanreuben":2qhb2h81 said:
cyfa2809":2qhb2h81 said:
Because it needs to work properly! It doesn't need to be perfect; just a bit better than the average numpty dad can manage, and the sad thing is, the mum knows her husband is useless! useless with bikes, useless in the kitchen, useless in the bedroom...
just useless!

I'm not sure I'm liking where this is going.

We've done a few check ups on bikes for bikeability

Things that cropped up as fails on bikes make sure the bike fits the child correctly, all the components work as they should, no frayed cable ends, front & rear (possibly pedal & wheel ones too) reflectors must be fitted as well as a bell

Basic kinda stuff really just make sure the bike is safe & works properly I guess we'd know it as the Cycling Proficiency Test

Back