Updating from 7 to 8 or 9 speed

Desmodromic

Retro Newbie
I have a 1995 Cannondale Killer V with Mavic (I think later model) wheels. There is a 7 speed cassette on it. The total drivetrain is a little old and I want to change it for something newer.

So this probably includes a new Crankset (Hollowtech II) and a new casette, derailleur and twisters.

My question is does a 9 speed cassette fit on my 7 speed hub. There is a kind of ring behind my 7 speed hub, So i guess it should fit. How wide does the 7 speed body have to be to fit a 9 speed cassette?

Not sure on width, maybe someone will know. The ring behind it sound spromising though, may be a spacer.

There is no need to swap the chain set or front mech. Try the shifters and cassette (assuming you have 8/9 speed wheels). If you have 7 speed wheels then buy a new 7 speed cassette and chain only as swapping the rear hub won't be worth it.
What do you want a new group set for? 7 speed is much more reliable in mud and the wider hub flange spacing makes for stronger wheels as they have less dish.

JamesM":3q4kw87q said:
An 8 or 9 speed cassette won't fit a 7 speed freehub but if by a ring you mean there is a spacer behind the 7 speed cassette then you may have an 8/9 speed freehub body. Does the ring look like this?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheels-manuf ... prod18561/

There is a ring like this behind the cassette and also a plastic (big) kindda spacer. So i'm almost positive it's a 8/9 speed hub.

Strange thing is I also have a 8 speed derailleur (Shimano SLX 8 sis) together with an SRam 8 click gripshifter....So now it's even stranger to me it has a 7 speed cassette on it...

Cannondale was notorious for cheaping out on parts at price points in favor of frame quality Buy a eight or nine speed cassette and rt shifter and you should be good. If you have a 5mm spacer behind your cassette you probably already have 8 speed freehub.

Latest posts

Back