friction thumbies with 10 speed cassette?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Has anyone tried this? Am I bonkers for wanting to try it? I have a set of deore 7(+1) speed thumbies, but will probably be going for a 2x10 drivetrain sometimes in the future. I like the simplicity, clean lines, and use of thumbies, and friction shifting isn't a problem for me (on the road at least, I have never tried it off road!)

The only options for new 10s shifters seem to be very expensive.

thanks, Andy

The new Shimano 10 speed mtb mechs have a different actuation ratio so although you intend using it in friction mode the thumb shifters might not pull enough cable from one end to the other. If you use an older 9 speed mech though it should work in friction mode. I'm not sure how well the jokey wheels on a 9 speed mech work on the thinner 10 speed chains, but they should be easy enough to change over for 10 speed ones.

I've run old XT thumbies friction with a 9 speed cassette just fine-- haven't tried a 10 speed.

Friction is pretty touchy since the throw is so short between gears, but I got used to it pretty quickly....then switched to an 8 speed cluster instead so I could run it indexed.

yo-Nate-y":2kpswxmb said:
I've run old XT thumbies friction with a 9 speed cassette just fine-- haven't tried a 10 speed.

Friction is pretty touchy since the throw is so short between gears, but I got used to it pretty quickly....then switched to an 8 speed cluster instead so I could run it indexed.

I'm going to give it a go see if i like it.

Back