Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Lidl Powerfix Bike Workstand - £29.99
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=210109

Author:  Trebz [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:51 am ]
Post subject:  Lidl Powerfix Bike Workstand - £29.99

All

I just bought one. On special offer today at most Lidl stores, I got there early and the Thorn Road store in Doncaster had a pallet load of them.

First impressions are great, sturdy and more than strong enough for a hobbyist like myself. Took less than five minutes to unpack and construct.

As you will below it took my Explosif easily, I then attached another frame I'm working on and removed the chainset from the bottom bracket, the thing held the frame well and didn't give me any concerns.

Get yourselves to Lidl and buy one sharpish if you need one. £29.99, you can't beat that can you !!

Pictures:

Author:  MADB [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:24 am ]
Post subject: 

I bought one my self. They get very good comments and its definitely going to be a lot better than my scaffold pole set up.

Author:  feetabix [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Brilliant heads up......many thanks, mine is in the boot!!! :D

Author:  gerryattrick [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

I bought one of these a couple of years ago and have had great service out of it. A bit poor on the pressure joints though but it looks as if the current model has improved that with the turn and clip mechanisms.

Author:  Trebz [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

Had a closer look at it this afternoon, a bad back had kept me away from it all day. If the 360 degree turning becomes an issue it could be solved by drilling two holes in the top horizontal tube, you could easily drop say, a screwdriver through the plastic outer then the steel tube to secure it, a bit like a cotter pin affair... know what i mean.

I had toe good lady faff about with it due to my bad back, works fine !!

I'm looking forward to using it in the near future hehe.

Great find I think.

Author:  1210tech [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Without doubt the best £30 I've spent in a long time and a 3 year warranty in case something does break ;)

Author:  REKIBorter [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Please clamp bikes only by the seatpost

Author:  1210tech [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

REKIBorter wrote:

just a 'mock up' photo dude ;)

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

REKIBorter wrote:

Why, mine all clamp nicely with this clamp anywhere. It should be just dont over clamp it

Author:  feetabix [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

right men....ive got it home, built it up and clamped my clockwork in it just for the sheer hell of it!.....it looks great!....well built and practical.....i can run a bike through the gears to check rear cable tension without the help of a brucie style card dolly now!....happy days!.... :D .....bargain of the year to boot!....

Author:  Skinwhistle [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

That looks great!!!! Might look into getting one myself?!?
Thanks for the pics, always better seeing it assembled :D

Author:  stewlewis [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

I got one too, great for the cash.

I was there at 8am, 4th in the queue. The first 2 guys had one, 3rd in the queue was a 'lady' buying squid, octopus tentacles, sushi and 4 litres of white cider!

Built mine up and it's great, much better for my old knees than a garage floor.

Author:  michael franks [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

I bought one of these today after seeing a 'heads up' a couple of days ago in the For Sale section. Far sturdier and much better build quality than I had expected. Quick and easy to set up, does everything it should do.
And for £30 I am very impressed 8) :D
Got mine from the Hanwell store in West London.

Author:  feetabix [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

at least ten left in the coventry branch on the a444 near the ricoh arena....(read olympic arena for the next few months!)....for those interested.... :D

Author:  agentorange [ Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:33 am ]
Post subject:  asdasd

Failing that, Decathlon do a very nice one for £20 more. This has an all-metal (alloy) frame/legs

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/velo-works-workshop-stand-id_8034462.html

Author:  Chopper1192 [ Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:53 am ]
Post subject: 

Bought 2, sold one on eBay for a £20 profit. I love Aldi and Lidls!

Author:  Gruff [ Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just got mine :)

About 10 left in the Weston Favell branch in Northampton :)

Author:  not_fat_matt [ Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Another one saying thanks for the heads up :)

Lidl at Cradley Heath (can you get more classy?) had loads

Author:  MADJEZ [ Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

REKIBorter wrote:

I am rather confused over the whole 'don't clamp the top tube' argument.
Surely the tube is sufficiently strong that when a 16 stone gorilla such as myself jumps the bike over something it won't buckle under the strain. Therefore hanging it by its tube can't be too bad.

Discuss.....

Author:  REKIBorter [ Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

Why? because it is all too easy to overtighten a clamp on a very thin frame tube. Plus exerting any extra force on those thin tubes is all too easy when working on a bike. Many bikes have gear/brake cables running along the top tube, clamping them makes adjustment impossible. Finally, seatposts are cheap and easy to replace compared to frame tubes.

Author:  cce [ Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:18 am ]
Post subject: 

general opinion among mates who have tried them is that it isnt as good as my park, but it isnt in any way bad value at £30

Author:  Whatleymeister [ Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:10 am ]
Post subject: 

Never really considered the thin tubes of the frame when clamping a bike in. Mind you, I never bother using a bike stand but probably should get one :roll:

I would also like to think that someone with a bike that has top tube routed cables would twig not to clamp it there, but I know it can slip peoples minds I guess!!

Author:  bm0p700f [ Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:05 am ]
Post subject: 

I agree by clamping by the seapost. Also if there is any grit in the clamp you can sratch that paint work.

Author:  bren [ Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

There are quite obvious warnings in the destruction (sic) booklet about making sure the clamp and frame are free of grit and not to over tighten.
The clamps not a bad shape to be fair, it's kind of a < > shape and it clears the brake cable on my heavy old GT and the brake hose on my Saracen. To be able to clamp the seat tube it will need a few holes putting through the top tube to allow a locating pin.
But for £30 I'm well happy.

Author:  azaro [ Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

Tried Preston and Leyland branches today - all gone! :(

Author:  dyna-ti [ Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Chopper wrote:
Lidls!

Im not sure thats an actual word Chopper :?

Author:  Chopper1192 [ Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Lidls? The cheapo Scandinavian supermarket? Upmarket from Netto, down from Aldi.

Author:  dyna-ti [ Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

Netto? WTF is netto :shock:

Author:  bren [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:33 am ]
Post subject: 

Netto is like a scandinavian cash and carry without the luxuries! :lol: They don't even bother unloading the pallets, just dump em on the shop floor :shock:

Author:  MADJEZ [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:55 am ]
Post subject: 

Chopper1192 wrote:
Lidls? The cheapo Scandinavian supermarket? Upmarket from Netto, down from Aldi.

Think Lidl & Aldi are about even around here (they do vary a bit around the country). I don't think they allow Netto in these parts, attract the wrong sort of people..... :lol:

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:13 am ]
Post subject: 

bren wrote:
Netto is like a scandinavian cash and carry without the luxuries! :lol: They don't even bother unloading the pallets, just dump em on the shop floor :shock:

There where plenty around here, but they did start in Leeds and spread out from there.
Mind they're no longer around and most are Asda stores now of the ones they kept. don't know who got the others.

Author:  Neil [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:17 am ]
Post subject: 

Chopper1192 wrote:

Now that I never knew - there is a hierarchy to these places.

Author:  highlandsflyer [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

Lidl is German. Aldi is German. Most of the products are sourced from the same suppliers. You could barely get a razor blade between the two in terms of quality of goods, many of which are excellent and knock spots of the crap sold in the major chains. Pure snobbery keeps the margins healthy for some supermarket chains. :)

Author:  Chopper1192 [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Gerherman? I never knew that.

Author:  RobMac [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

highlandsflyer wrote:
Lidl is German. Aldi is German. Most of the products are sourced from the same suppliers. You could barely get a razor blade between the two in terms of quality of goods, many of which are excellent and knock spots of the crap sold in the major chains. Pure snobbery keeps the margins healthy for some supermarket chains. :)

Their brothers who own the companies :shock:

Author:  MADJEZ [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

highlandsflyer wrote:

It's only snobbery over here, if you go to Germany they are just like Tescos or Asda.

Author:  Chopper1192 [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

Arent Tesco and Asds cheapo too, just bigger?

Author:  MADJEZ [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

Chopper1192 wrote:
Arent Tesco and Asds cheapo too, just bigger?

Well yes but they at least have proper shelves and merchandising. Also toilets and cafes.

Author:  Chopper1192 [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

Toilet in supermarkets? Jeez, they'll sell anything!

Author:  RobMac [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

Chopper1192 wrote:
Toilet in supermarkets? Jeez, they'll sell anything!

:lol:

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

RobMac wrote:
highlandsflyer wrote:

Their brothers who own the companies :shock:

No they don't
they ran Aldi, but one is dead and the other now retired.

Author:  stewlewis [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

I can recommend the £1.29 BBQ cleaner aerosol too, makes a great degreaser, just watch it on your paint it's made one of my black hubs look a bit ano. (OK so bone idle me didn't take the cassette off).

Author:  saulus [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Got mine!!

In Hereford we are blessed with both an Aldi and a Lidl. Some of the lines they get in are pretty good. There were 3 stands left..now there is only one 8)

Lovin' this workstand..Beats hanging my frame from the jerry built improvisation I have been putting up with 'til now.

Cheers for the heads up on these things

Author:  Chute55uk [ Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

also if you clamp them by the tubes and there are stickers on said tubes..... also the corners of the clamps can chip the paint if your not careful with the insertion/extraction.
seatpost only clampage if you please :D

Author:  Charlieboy28 [ Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

As an Aldi convert i would like to say that Lidl and Aldi are like chalk and cheese, its like comparing Waitrose and farm foods i reckon, Aldi rocks , lidl smells of desperation and your feet stick to the floor :shock:

Author:  snowdonstumpy [ Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

I got one too!!!

Thanks Retrobike!

8)

Author:  gerryattrick [ Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

Charlieboy28 wrote:
As an Aldi convert i would like to say that Lidl and Aldi are like chalk and cheese, its like comparing Waitrose and farm foods i reckon, Aldi rocks , lidl smells of desperation and your feet stick to the floor :shock:

Comparing Aldi with Lidl is like asking which bike is better - Townsend or Universal. Comparing Waitrose with Farm Foods is like comparing Merlin with Apollo. All these bikes do their job at a price but only one is a class act.

I'm not being snobbish as I use Lidl, Aldi and Waitrose, depending what I want, as they are all near me

Author:  JeRkY [ Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

Aldi does genuinely nice stuff, lido doesn't really. Sure aldi lacks the sparkle of any of the mainstream supermarkets but the quality is pretty high.

Author:  lumos2000 [ Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:06 am ]
Post subject: 

shopping in lidl is like shopping when your on holiday

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:32 am ]
Post subject: 

Charlieboy28 wrote:

Yours must be different.
he're they are opposite each other (and in fact next to Waitrose)
Aldi is the slightly newer store an Lidl's just had a refit. Both are the same and much cheaper than Waitrose.
of course within a few miles there are another two of each. Still all three sold out of the workstands in the day before tea (I did get one) :)

I just call then Laldi now.

Author:  MisterGrizzly [ Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think I've got the best one of the lot.....

My better half walked in with one the other day which was a total surprise...

Her father (thanks Paul!) is a fellow bike lover and also a bit of a Lidl potterer and had one of the workstands a while ago, fortunately for me he knew they were coming in again and went down first thing and nabbed me one for an early birthday present and I didn't know a thing!

Thanks Paul! And yes, I know I thanked him earlier in this post but he deserves two...

Cheers!

Much appreciated!

FYI all: the Pace will definitely be held by the seatpost!

Author:  dyna-ti [ Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

You dont have to open the base right out.1/2 out gives plenty of stability :wink: Takes up less room.