quick helmet question... giro hex or phase & why?

jax13

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
as title folks, i need to buy a helmet this week & am torn between the hex & the phase.

cost isn't an issue on either model (only a fiver difference) so what would you go for & why?

I tried on both today so comfort of either model isn't an issue -in short, whats the difference & is it worth it?

Have neither, but did try them (went with MET)

but if fit is not an issue then it'll be the Visor position and the fastening system.

But basically go for the look you prefer ;)

I think they position the Phase as the Singletrack/Crosscountry, racier helmet and the more expensive Hex is the Trails full sus bike day rider.

Phase, because it was cheap :

WD Pro":18nx2y6j said:
Just got a giro phase for £35 from the on one sale - seems well made, comfy, fits me well etc

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HEG ... elmet-2011

giro-phase-2009-zoom.jpg

I have a 59.5 head and got the medium (up to 59) and it fits great with room to spare ? :D

WD :D

WD :D

gone up to £39.99 but well worth it - cheers for the link, that just saved me a tenner!

Got a Hex and very happy with it to be honest, fits my bonce well and was the comfiest I tried of a few. Also was a very good deal when this years model came out so only paid half normal price.

From what I remember (I have a Hex now and broke a Phase last year) the Hex provides a tad more coverage at the back but apart from that they are very similar and just as comfy as any helmet I have worn before.

I had a hex, saved my head after a small fall, but split in half. I literally only fell sideways off my bike at a very low speed, so surprised at the damage it sustained, but at least my head didn't. Was a good helmet up to that point, went with a fox flux after that as it looked a little better imho, and the strap retaining system was more comfy as integrated into the moulding rather than from within the inside of the helmet, but the front peak retaining system is rubbish.

I like the fit of Giro helmets, but that's a personal thing, what works for me might not work for you. I have a "feature", the only thing I can fault it on is ventilation. None of which really helps; all things being equal I'd go for the one with the most protection for the back of the head.

Back