Fox fork transplant help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Managed to get my hands on a set of v brake fox lowers as I planned to swap the innards over from a disc only set I have. Has anyone done this? Any advice or help out there anyone can offer around taking a set apart? I've done many retro rock shox and manitou, but not anything this new.

If it helps I have f80x forks that I wish to transplant into some talas lowers (actually I want to transplant the innards from one set of f80x forksi to the stantion/crown assembly of another set of f80x forks and then the result of this into the talas lowers).

How do I check bushing condition? Anyone got any advice around lubing up the innards before reassembly?

Cheers

Fox forks are relatively simple, just take your time and use any tools recommended (ie rubber hammer to separate lowers). They are fairly delicate.

Should be no bother swopping the lowers over. Stanchion wear is a bad one but will be pretty obvious. Clean and re-oil the foam deals properly with the right oil. The fox site is good for oil level tables etc.

If you need any help along the way just give me a shout. Could do the swop and service for you if wanted too for the price of postage and oils used?

Thanks for the info and offer. I'd probably feel more comfortable knowing this task was done by someone more knowledgable than me.

I'm going to get the lowers and crown resprayed in black before I do anything though (unless you can do that too ;) ), hopefully in the next few weeks. Any advice on this task? I'm getting someone who knows how to spray to do it, so aside from not painting the innards, anything else to watch out for?

I suppose I should consider decals too, anyone know where I can get some?

Decals are an easy one, you should be able to get new ones from Mojo for relatively cheap (circa £15?).

As for paint, again can't see it being too bad. The TALAS lowers will have the webbing on the back of the brace? This might be a pain to prep properly, and then get the paint in to the all the bit of web. I'd remove all the paint and then etch primer (acid 80?) and then paint. Alternatively something like Hammerite would be a good one (or Plasticote). These leave a good durable finish and are an 'all in one', so no primer, laquer etc.

Again, just give me a shout if you want a hand with anything.

Latest posts

Back