Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Help what to do if you find your stolen bike on gumtree ?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=186067

Author:  cizardev [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Help what to do if you find your stolen bike on gumtree ?

hi so it has been 6 mounths since my bike was stolen , until i found on gumtree just now.

what shall i do ? contact police ? or contact seller asking to view it ?

any advice would be apprciated.

and yes im 100% sure it is mine.

cheers Evan

Author:  JeRkY [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

Contact the police, get their advice. Possibly phone up say you'll definitely take it, try and push back the pickup time. Good luck!

A friend of a friend got great support off his local force when a similar thing happened.

Author:  supergoose [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'd contact the police. Do you know the frame number?

Author:  cizardev [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

Right , im am right in thinking that its cash in hand on gumtree right ?

Author:  SwanHouseNappa [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

Kill everybody involved.

Author:  theredchili [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Help what to do if you find your stolen bike on gumtree

cizardev wrote:
hi so it has been 6 mounths since my bike was stolen , until i found on gumtree just now.

what shall i do ? contact police ? or contact seller asking to view it ?

any advice would be apprciated.

and yes im 100% sure it is mine.

cheers Evan

Call the Police for sure ,maybe call them for a viewing and get an address too

let us know how you get on

Author:  KDM [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Block your number then call them. Then act genuine i.e. Is the price negotiable then get his name and address and arrange a viewing. Then contact plod, tell them all you know and what you have arranged and let them do the job they are paid to do

Author:  supergoose [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

SwanHouseNappa wrote:
Kill everybody involved.

Prob best not to do this.......... for now.

Author:  FMJ [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

supergoose wrote:
SwanHouseNappa wrote:
Kill everybody involved.

Of course not!

Get the bike back first.

Author:  Raging_Bulls [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

Contact the police, arrange an appointment with the seller (without telling him anything) and let one of the officers go there with you (in civilian clothing, of course). Also make sure you have a proof of purchase and/or the police report of the theft.

The seller may have bought it without knowing it was stolen, so don't accuse him right away.

I had a similar situation, and the seller managed to prove that he bought the bike more than half a year after it was stolen. I agreed to buy back my own bike at a very low price.

I also came across a bike that was stolen from a friend of mine, and because the theft was reported and I had the paperwork on my phone, the police cut the lock and let me take the bike home.

Author:  SwanHouseNappa [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:

That's exactly the sort of attitude that is driving society into the sea.

Wishy washy liberalism, when all that is really needed is a brutally enforced reign of sadistic terror.

Author:  cizardev [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

thanks guys, KDMs advice sounds good, will keep the situation updated cheers Evan

Although the killing option sounded reasonable......;)

Author:  Andy B [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

Get the police involved, they may already be aware of this individual and they may already be under investigation.

This individual may just be a one man crime wave, or a part of a large organised crime syndicate.

Or then again the seller might not be the person who actually stole your bike, but they may know who did, or they may be completely innocent (apart from handling stolen goods)

Whichever it is let the police know before you do anything at all.

There have been cases where a small incident like this has killed a huge investigation off (we have a lot of police using our bike shop & we do from time to time hear things from reputable sources)

Author:  mikee [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

SwanHouseNappa wrote:
Quote:

Wishy washy liberalism, when all that is really needed is a brutally enforced reign of sadistic terror.

grumpy pete?

Author:  SwanHouseNappa [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

Grumpy?

Me?

Heavens no.

But this revolution isn't going to start itself.

And I want you to call me MegaLord High Commander from now on.

Grumpy, no.

Drunk....

perhaps.

Author:  supergoose [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

SwanHouseNappa wrote:
Grumpy?

Me?

Heavens no.

But this revolution isn't going to start itself.

And I want you to call me MegaLord High Commander from now on.

Grumpy, no.

Drunk....

perhaps.

Right you've talked me round so count me in Megalord! I'm tooled up with a snooker ball in a sock.

Author:  SwanHouseNappa [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
Right you've talked me round so count me in Megalord! I'm tooled up with a snooker ball in a sock.

Nice.

A gentlemans weapon.

Get smacking, and don't stop until there's no one left.

I meanwhile am going to continue drinking and go on ebay. See if I can find a nice uniform with lots of braiding and medals on it. And some really shiny sunglasses.

Can anyone here build orbital war satellites?

Author:  Raging_Bulls [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

SwanHouseNappa wrote:
See if I can find a nice uniform with lots of braiding and medals on it. And some really shiny sunglasses.

*cough* Judge Dredd *cough*

Author:  tintin40 [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

SwanHouseNappa wrote:
Quote:

Certainly would lower the crime rate :lol:

All the advice given i agree with and did when i recovered my first stolen Trimble from Fulham .
Didn't get the bas**ds :x

Author:  Rumble [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pah - 6 months is nothing, got mine back after 3 years:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112759&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Then this: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149607&highlight=

Author:  cizardev [ Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

interesting just read your thread Rumbel. So u rang police first , then asked to view bike ? did u take photos whilst u was there, viewing the bike ? and then ring the police straight after the viewing and compared picture ?

cheers Evan

Author:  Raging_Bulls [ Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:11 am ]
Post subject: 

cizardev wrote:
So u rang police first , then asked to view bike ? did u take photos whilst u was there, viewing the bike ? and then ring the police straight after the viewing and compared picture ?

cheers Evan

Evan,

Here's the whole story.

I went to the police station with pictures of the bike, those of the advert and pictures of the default model. Luckily I had extensively modified the bike and most of my parts were still on there.
One of the officers was a bike nut, and he agreed with me that this must be my bike.

Then I called the seller, made an appointment for the next morning and went there with a police officer who pretended to be my father (the benefit of being 19 and rather small is that you can pose as a teenager).
He checked the bike out like a normal buyer would (feel the brakes, check the headset for play, and then turned it upside-down and checked the frame number.
As soon as he verified that it was indeed the number I reported stolen, he identified himself as a police officer.

Of course the seller didn't see that coming. Luckily for him, he had made a sort of "purchase form" (with his name, the name of the crook he bought it from, their signatures and the frame number) when he bought the bike, and it was dated 2 days after I reported the bike stolen.

According to the paper, he paid 5.000 BEF for it (roughly £100). I basically told him "Legally it's still my bike, so I could just take it away if I wanted. However I'll give you 2.000 BEF (£40) just so you haven't lost all your money."
IMO that was pretty fair. After all he had maintained it well and it even had brand new brake pads and cables.

I drove home with my bike and the police took a copy of his purchase form. Turns out the thief signed it with his own name and had been caught before with a shed full of stolen bikes. No idea what happened afterwards, but I imagine they brought him in, gave him a lecture and then had to let him go.

-----

Keep in mind that this was somewhere in 1997 and a police office in a quiet town. I doubt they'll want to let an officer go "undercover" for half a day to recover a bike nowadays.

Author:  FMJ [ Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:52 am ]
Post subject: 

SwanHouseNappa wrote:
Can anyone here build orbital war satellites?

Yes.

Well, done a transmitter for Direct TV's satellite. How hard could weaponizing one be?

Raging_Bulls wrote:
the benefit of being 19 and rather small is that you can pose as a teenager

Uh, at nineteen you were a teenager. Not much of a stretch posing as one, really. Certainly no Oscar. :D

Author:  cizardev [ Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:57 am ]
Post subject: 

well im 17 .... so rather big benefit ;)

nice satellite by the way.....

Author:  gibbleking [ Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:28 am ]
Post subject: 

you need this ......

for all you budding evil scientists out there....now all you need is an extinct volcano

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/forum/index.php

Author:  rosstheboss [ Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:37 am ]
Post subject: 

Raging_Bulls wrote:
Keep in mind that this was somewhere in 1997 and a police office in a quiet town. I doubt they'll want to let an officer go "undercover" for half a day to recover a bike nowadays.

Quite the opposite, our police force love an open and shut case, it makes the books look good! You just might find yourself doing 95% of the legwork/detective work though...

Author:  BertR00t [ Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:02 am ]
Post subject: 

So what is happening with this? Have you made the approach yet? Someone else may see the bargain and beat you to it if you dally...

Author:  Chris [ Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:06 am ]
Post subject: 

cizardev do you have the serial number?

Without it it could be real difficult to prove even if you custom built the bike.

I know its crap but apparently in the eyes of the law some thieving scumbag might of built the exact same bike as you :(

Author:  Rumble [ Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not true, I got mine back with only photos and a 3 year old crime number. The seller won't be able to prove a legitimate purchase so your case has more weight than theirs.

Author:  BobCatMax [ Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

BertR00t wrote:
So what is happening with this? Have you made the approach yet? Someone else may see the bargain and beat you to it if you dally...

yeah don't hang about fella, we need progress reports :lol:

good luck!

Author:  lumos2000 [ Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

http://hire-a-killer.com/ :twisted:

Author:  cizardev [ Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:15 am ]
Post subject: 

Hey lads well since im still in college my dad contacted the police.

Heres what happend....

Our local station was not open till 10 so, he went to one close to city centre.
He gave all details that we found it on gumtree and that we were a hundred percent certain that it was my bike alothough they did not ask to see any pictures at all..... he was then told to wait for contact from the sargent.

after 2hours of wating he then went to our local staition to see 'What the crack was' where he was told that, 'theres a lack of resources and that there attending to a RTA..... After a little more waiting he rang police again, which a rather rude assistant decided to help the case with attitude, and that she cant help him if he hasn't got a refrence number. Which he did not get in the first place. Anyway after not getting a straight answer he rang seller to view the bike, in which he bought it for a 100 smackers.
just so a £300 didnt belong to anyone but myself :)

yes its a shame i had to pay for something that is legally mine, but the police didnt respond quick enough. I did go along to the viewing, they did look like the kind to steal. The bike itself had hardly been used just a shame the front discs warped and that the a few half decent scracthes on the bars, stem and one of the levers. Think he may of shot over the front !

Deserves him right, oh i think it may be nice of me to mention that the most probable thief said it has a front 'liquid brake'. My god me and my dad were hurting.... :lol:

Author:  Raging_Bulls [ Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:33 am ]
Post subject: 

Well, at least you got your bike back. Let's hope you get it back in proper working order soon enough.

Author:  bren [ Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:49 am ]
Post subject: 

Well that absolutely frikken sucks!! :(
May I ask what area you live in, ie; which is your local constabulary.

One small crumb of comfort I would personally be taking away from this rather sorry situation is that I now know where the 'seller' of MY bike actually lives! .............and that's all I'm going to say about that on a public forum ;) :twisted: [/b]

Author:  hamster [ Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:32 am ]
Post subject: 

You still have the evidence - go back to the cops again - at least you might get your £100 back.

Author:  cizardev [ Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:19 am ]
Post subject: 

i live in leicsester, and well got the disc reasonably straight(gonna need a new one) may go up to a 180mm disc. seatpost is unjammed although still need to unjam seatpost clamp.
Not sure what to do about rear brake though i forgot how weak it is, something to do with the able routing i think. Its an old gt timberline frame and it doenst have a cable ferral holder(thing?) on the frame. just some stupiud little round holder on the right hand side of the seattube where ive got a small bit of cable outer .

Author:  NAILTRAIL96 [ Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Don't forget to notify the police the bike has been recovered as you've now knowingly bought stollen goods.
And should the police check the bike for any reason it'll show as stollen.

Author:  cizardev [ Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

done so they are supposed to nip and have a chat, about it so may get the money back after all, but will have to wait and see. :)

Author:  Bpool77 [ Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hope you get your cash back.

I would of asked for a test ride and rode of with a one fingerd salute :lol:

Author:  jskdog [ Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Bpool77 wrote:
Hope you get your cash back.

I would of asked for a test ride and rode of with a one fingerd salute :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  maverick [ Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

From a Policing point of view those is the perfect reminder to all cyclists that we need to note our serial numbers not just on bikes but on TV's, cameras, phones, laptops, I-pods, DVD players, blue ray players and just about anything else that isn’t nailed down.

All to often Police recover stolen items that we know are stolen but just can't prove who it belongs to and are forced by law to return the items to the thieves as no owner can be traced due to a lack of evidence. Sad and infuriating to all.

Go back to the local station (when its open) and show them all the information you have about the bike and that you have 'purchased' it back from someone who may or may not be legitimate, ask them to look into the matter, they maybe already on the radar for local nicking and might just need a little bit of more evidence to arrest and potentially prosecute. Look at using the http://www.immobilise.com/ website too. All police forces use this to try and trace owners.

All retrobikers should also take time to read this - http://inspectorgadget.wordpress.com/ sadly its accurate.

Good luck.