Single Finger Braking?

unkleGsif

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Does anyone else just use one finger for braking purposes?

I do, and have done since my BMX days. Then, I found it gave me more bike control (or confidence), when launching the bike around... more hand on the bars sort of thing. Now, and its still habit, I feel that I have more control, especially in tricky situations, while still covering the brakes. I do this on Hope levers on my BMX (VERY comfortable), and the Avids on my Kilauea (less comfy, interested in M950 levers)

I use the very end of the lever, using the kink to lock my fingers on the lever, however with my new Easton bars, this has meant that the brake and shifter clamps have covered up the logo's, as the levers are so far inboard. When I hored a full suss last time I went to Coed y Brenin, although the Juicy 9's were supreme, I just could not get on with the lever positions and couldnt move them inboard, as the bars were oversize

Interested to hear other people's thoughts and braking styles

G

I think it ultimately depends on your brakes :LOL:

Poorly set up or cheap nasty canti's then its four finger white knuckle braking.

Well set up V-brakes is 1-2 finger braking.

Pretty much anything hydaulic is one finger.

Coaster brake is no finger :LOL:

I cant get on with 2 finger braking... doesnt feel like I have a firm grip of the bar

Surely coaster braking is "one finger" to finger levers entirely :LOL:

G

Depends on the brakes.

The Formula RX brakes on my modern need one finger to throw me over the bar.
Then again I came across a £350 bike whose Vees did the same as soon as your pinky finger came anywhere near the lever. Ironically I owned the exact same bike in a different size and needed a firm squeeze to get any serious braking whatsoever.
My 503 goes either way. I can pull the lever with one finger and get as much braking power as when I use all the force in my entire hand on the lever. Unfortunately it's not a lot of braking power. Only just enough to lock up the rear wheel if I slam both brakes really.

However I do notice that I always have my index and middle fingers on the brakes, even if I only use one finger for the actual braking.

Its not so much the power or effort required in the squeeze of the lever that governs my braking technique..... its the sheer ability to feel like I have a good hold on the bar with the remaining ring and pinky fingers, while covering the brakes with the middle and index fingers

G

Andy R":3qwjlt83 said:
I use one finger braking probably 95% of the time and never more than two.

Andy
Do you have the levers quite far inboard on the bar, to use only the very end of the lever blade?

G

unkleGsif":21yjuu4t said:
Andy R":21yjuu4t said:
I use one finger braking probably 95% of the time and never more than two.

Andy
Do you have the levers quite far inboard on the bar, to use only the very end of the lever blade?
G

There's about a half inch gap between the inside of the grip (well, the locking clamp) and the lever clamp. If you could pull the lever right back to the bars (which, of course, you can't) the end of the lever blade (Magura Marta) would be about 3 inches in from the end of the bars, if that makes any sense?
The most that I can get on the lever with everything in that position is two fingers.

I'll post a photo if it'll be any help?

Andy.

One finger and its plenty. Set up below.

5805555797_e321ff9445.jpg

Back