Lights your opinions

kieran9990

Devout Dirtbag
Hi All,

Now the tide has turned and the evenings are getting shorter starting to think about a set of lights for the winter months.

What do you guys recomend??

Thanks

Kieran

I use a Fenix Ld20 up front and it lights the way incredibly well. Have a few sets of rechargeable AAs for it. Dear but worth it. On the back I run one of the little fibre flares. That has two sets of watch batteries either end, think it is a Dual one buy has a button either end. Mint as it is bright as hell.

well worth the money, i take mine when out for walks in the winter/dark nights.......think i piad about £45-£50.

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

on low power here:

IMG_1412.jpg

very crisp and clear colour. on flashing mode and high power it blinds you!

i spent about £70 on a charger and high end 2800 batteries for it!

then i use and old LED on the back of the bike.

Worth mentioning is that I have dropped my Fenix a lot as well yet it still works very well indeed.

Whats your budget? And expected ride time? Off road or on road?

Well last time I mentioned lights I got called all sorts. :roll:

But to hell with that. These torch things are all well and good if you are an occasional bimbler on mellow terrain but if you are serious about nightriding you need something better in my opinion. I had a full winter using thise Cree P7 torches. Firstly they were unreliable. I would start the night with two on the bars and one on my helmet. It was unusual to finish the night with all three. Then there was the burn time. On a long ride i would have to change batteries at least once; thats three batteries+ crap weather+ cold hands+ fumble in the dark= pants. Finally the spread of light was poor, hence the need for three lights. Consider the brackets and the pile of spare batteries and it's hardly a lightwieght combo.

OK, so that ain't a problem for most folk. They are cheap and do a reasonable job. But, due to working far too much, 90% of my riding is on a night. Mainly in winter. So to me, a powerful and reliable lighing system that can turn night into day is a better investment than a good set of wheels or brakes. If I want to ride at full pelt down my favourite gnarly trails for hours on end I need a great light.
So last year I took the plunge and bought a Trout Liberator 3.0. Built in a shed in Yorkshire, lighter, more powerful and much cheaper than a Lupine Wilma, for starters and secondly looks really sweet with a CNC case and lovely anno finish. And boy is it bright! More incredible is the spread of light; the beam comes out at right angles to each side and right down to the headset. Thats full output to the sides too, not just side-spill, making them fantastic in tight twisty situations. The beam is a good 700yds long to boot which even the fastest rider could not outrun. It has been reliable and the burn rate is astonishing- so good I only charge it twice a month. Full power (2000 lumen) lasts well over 5 hours, the lowest setting which is still super bright will last over 20 hours.

Now I fully appreciate that they are expensive, but if you do a lot of night time riding then they become fantastic value for money. They should last years and the bloke who makes them is a really top bloke and is never more than a phonecall away should the damn thing stop working. I'm really thrilled with mine and can't recommend them enough.

I hope I don't get flamed again for singing it's praises, but it has to be said.

I'm doing a fair bit of off-load at night now as well, had been using a Hope Vision for the dark evenings but as its now getting dark by the time I'm in the woods after the cliff paths a helmet light is a must - I'm about to buy a MagicShine MJ808 - 900 lumens and will work out about £80 with postage... I know a few people with them and they are brilliant...

If you're just doing roads/paths etc at night then fine stick to a torch style, but anything serious off road then you will need a proper helmet light...

Oh and on the back I use a Knogg from CRC - £8 or so and you don't even notice its there until you turn it on..

Back