Different sized wheels

IDB1

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Are there many (any?) negatives from running a 24" rear wheel and 26" front?

Or any positives?

Got a mini v-brake (that's alleged to work with non V levers) to go on the missus' bike but it's unusable with a 26" rear wheel so thought a 24" could be the answer...

I don't know the actual answer, but can only guess that as with a car - if you run a smaller rolling radius you'll benefit from better acceleration, but lower top-end...

But on a bike, the difference probably aren't noticeable or very minorly negligable???

There was a cannondale in the early 90's with this set up and I don't remember hearing any thing bad about it...

Assuming you're running similar sized tyres (e.g. both 1.95 or whatever), then I'd say that it'd slacken the head angle and reduce pedal ground clearance a bit.

If you run a bit fat DH/Jump tyre then there'll be little difference other than a load of chainstay rub.

cannondale ran a 24" rear wheel so they could make the chainstays shorter and improve the climbing ability of the bike.

Dave_H":23zokagc said:
If you run a bit fat DH/Jump tyre then there'll be little difference other than a load of chainstay rub.

Why's that?

I thought chainstays widened a tad further away from the pedals...
It's just a curiosity question, I dare say the rear will be a fairly normal size tyre..

I very much doubt this will do anything more than very easy tow path or singletrack.. or pootle round town kinda thing.. just don't want it to make riding a hard slog for her since she'll never ride it if it is :?

IDB1":12k3ina2 said:
Dave_H":12k3ina2 said:

Why's that?

I thought chainstays widened a tad further away from the pedals...
It's just a curiosity question, I dare say the rear will be a fairly normal size tyre..

Because a lot of 24" DH/Jump tyres are big fat 2.7 or 3.0 with a tall sidewall to create a bigger volume tyre whilst retaining a similar height to a 26" tyre. Normal XC type frames won't have the clearance to fit it.

If it's just an XC type tyre but in a 24" then you're right, there will be more mud clearance.

#I did it on minikens bike in my signature, works fine but I put a fat tyre on the back to help compensate - i used a 24inch frame though with 26inch forks - even for a mini V will you not need the bosses in the right place?

It will reduce the BB height a bit.
Bit like my 69er which is now 26" rear and a 650b front(should have been a 29", long story) handling has improved, climbs better and looks the spuds :D

The Ken":1cz6mxz6 said:
even for a mini V will you not need the bosses in the right place?

I'd need to offer the brakes up again to be sure but I think the pads were right at the top so would have about an inch they could come down.. so maybe not.. but, knowing my luck, probably :LOL:

One of the kids has a 24" wheeled bike (only realised today when I noticed it lurking in the corner) so may see if it'll work with that and go from there..

Back