Eggbeaters?

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
What are the Crank Bros Eggbeater pedals like to use?

I'm looking to shed a few grams and it strikes me that the M525 spd pedals I'm currently using are fairly porky by comparison, and the Eggbeaters can be had for a reasonable price too.

I've only ever used Shimano spd though, how do the eggbeaters compare for ease of engangement? amount of movement once clipped in etc?

Nice design, good float, sheds mud well, lightweight

Bad engineering...

...If you don't mind rebuilding your pedals frequently & having the soles of your shoes eaten away go for it (you can get Shoe Shields and rebuild kits easily enough)

If you want fit & forget pedals try something else

echoing what andy says but also i found they ended up making my knees ache. had always been a shimano pedal man but then when they first came out i got them, liked them so then fitted out most of my bikes with them, including the road bikes.

basically i didn't notice initially but where they don't support your foot aswel as a shimano pedal i found that when i pushed hard on the pedal my foot would lean over which meant i was pushing down with my knee in a slightly angled position which after a while caused issues.

back on shimano now, no issues with my knees, also the cleats last so much longer and don't ruin shoes and the bearings in shimano pedals last so long by comparison with smegbeaters.

my 2p :)

so 2 replies, 2 not in favour of the eggbeaters.

Is there anyone who does like them? :LOL:

Apart from Shimano then, what are the other popular options? (bearing in mind weight, price,comfort)

Again, I think they're brilliant pedals, but older models do have rubbish bearings! I think the newer sets have a 2 or 5 year warranty, which will certainly be worthwhile.

Both of my older sets need new bearings, but I think I'll get a set of the newer pedals rather than new bearings. Then use the warranty if needed.

I've used egg beaters for about 8 years (used to use shimano), had about 5 sets over 4 different bikes (2x mallets, 1x eggbeater sl, 1x candy and 1x eggbeater M?) the only set i have had an issue with were the cheap £20 steel eggbeaters (M?) which were crap.

Had absolutly no issues with any of the others...

Just started using a set off egg beater 2's.. Was informed that the latest pedals are tougher than before. Egg beater 1 is cheap enough but not so tough as 2s and 3s.

So far I like them to use better than shimano. Just have to wait and see how durable they are.

Back