Pinching the Inner Tubes

t wild":1btz0xvp said:
I swapped the Ritchey wheels on my rockhopper because the tyres were so tight I ripped the sidewall on a tyre trying to get it back on after a puncture repair. I wasn't even using levers I pulled the bead out with my thumbs trying to stretch it over. I'd already snapped a plastic lever and bent a metal one. Luckily I was off the trail and found a second hand shop. The only thing they had in that would do the job was a massive straining spoon with a flat handle. Felt like I was changing a tyre with a crowbar but it went on.

Seriously though old cutlery makes an excelent tyre lever. Old spoons the likes of which were found in your nan's kitchen work better than any tyre lever I've used. Apart from the strainer but fitting a pair of 18" spoons in my seat bag is a bit much.

If your having to use that much force and having to try to "stretch" the bead then the tyre isnt in the right place at the bottom of the rim ;)

Re:

It was the first time I'd tried getting the tyre off that bike. It was the ridiculously thick rock hard rim tape that caused the trouble but still put me off the wheels. I still have them in the shed.

Back