1999 Kona Jake the Snake

cowsgomoo

Retro Newbie
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Jake...0947865122?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item4ab9fbc622

I have a 1999 Kona Jake the Snake that I bought new as a frameset. It's been used on the road for about 200 miles only in all these years (!), set up with flat bars and magura brakes and intended as a fast road alternative to my old GT STS. Sadly though this never really happened and now I'm building another bike (which I'll hopefully use) and selling the Kona.

This link has more info and photos

DSCN2958.JPG

1999 Kona Jake The Snake 52cm - A custom build double butted 7005 frame with Project 2 forks
Bought as a frameset and used very, very rarely, covering approximately 200 dry road miles from new. I bought it on a whim to use as a fast alternative to my suspension mtb. I saw it in the shop and it just looked too damn pretty in bright orange not to buy it! That said, I never really used it so here it is for sale. The frame/forks condition is very good and it's never been crashed. There's the odd minor scuff or tiny chip here or there due to us moving house three times and its storage being interrupted a few times. Certainly no dents, cracks or anything other than (very) minor cosmetic stuff. It can be a tough workhorse or a lightweight flyer. Either way, my few rides have proved it quicker than my lightweight GT MTB by some margin!!

More detailed pictures including a diagram on sizing are here: http://www.kyodo.co.uk/kona

Components
Coyote headset, Easton 120mm stem and old scruffy Richey bars, alloy bar ends & USE seatpost. The Flite saddle and pedals in the pictures are not included.

Sram esp 7.0 8sp shifters coupled to a Shimano LX front mech, a Shimano 600 short cage rear mech and new Shimano HG50 - 12-25 cassette. The chainset is an Ofmega double I acquired from god knows where. The shifters are for a triple chainset but for my very limited riding on this, it worked ok for me. Anyone taking the bike will almost certainly want to adapt and tweak the drivetrain setup to their own liking.

Brakes are hydraulic Magura HS22 that I used to use on my mtb, a few light scuffs but in perfect working order.

Wheels are Mavic Cosmos. Straight pull spokes (24 radial front & 32 three-cross rear) and machined braking surfaces. Like the frame they've covered no more than 200 dry road miles and are as close to perfect as you'll find. Michelin 32mm tyres (great condition again).

For what it's worth, the photos just don't seem to do the frame colour justice :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back