Vintage Saracen from 1984

That is very nice, very old.

Was Biopace around in 84 ?? Maybe replacement rings, I remember Biopace around 89 era.

Saracen

My mates got one of these - he bought it from new. Its hardly been used. Only problem - it weighs a ton. Nice looking - but sooo heavy

Re: Saracen

bobgarrod":3sf6e31w said:
My mates got one of these - he bought it from new. Its hardly been used. Only problem - it weighs a ton. Nice looking - but sooo heavy

Thanks for the info. I agree this one looks great.

But "heavy" compared to what?
Does it ride OK, or does the weight make it a real dog?
I rode my mate's early 90s Saracen a while back and it was amazing... not especially light but so smooth and comfy.

Saracen

It's been a few years since I rode on this. My mate put it in his garage in 1994 when he bought a Saracen Kili pro and it hasn't emerged for a ride since. I probably road on it in 1985/6 last. During the summer we had to move it so I could get my Tandem in the garage. It felt very heavy - 40lbs? - it's certainly heavier than my old Schwinn Rocket Full Suspension which weighs a ton. You must remember that nearly everything on this is made of steel and/or is massively overengineered. The brake levers look like they have fallen off a motorcycle of that era. I asked my mate if he had taken it offroad. He advised he had and that's why he bought a Suzuki trail bike- as the Saracen felt as if it needed an engine! He's probably exaggerating there but it's no lightweight. Built like a brick shithouse.

I really fancy that as a Saracen lover but it is too far away for me to collect it. Shame.

Who's having this?

I wouldn't be asking if I hadn't already just splashed out on a mid eighties bessy.

They are weighty from this era but it doesn't translate into unrideability. The mass and the steeliness and the geometry make for a super comfortable ride that makes you wonder why all bikes aren't like that.

If you live near a pub, or a canal towpath or a pub on a canal towpath buy this.

It is so much more rare and interesting than countless high-end 90's clones that are debated ad infinitum.

Back