1997 Kona Ku

OrangeRetro

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Well from our researches, I think it most likely that this Ku was welded together by a former Mountain Goat welder. After Jeff Lindsay closed Mountain Goat in 1995, he started a new business called Altitude Cycles in 1996 and they took on the Hot and Ku and the Caldera (if any Calderas were actually built) before they closed towards the end of 96. Enigma Design and Manufacture took over the contract from December 96, but my guess is that means they built the 98 models.

I think Taiwan Konas are very well built actually (by Giant?) and while there's an advantage in custom-built (but only if you're the original customer), I don't see why US-built should necessarily mean better.

Only the 3rd Ku I've ever seen though (excluding a pic on Adam Gent's site of a polished one). Wonder what it'll go for?

Latest posts

Back