Kona King Kikapu 1997 18"

Re:

Great frames,I have an identical one.These early King Kikapus were Easton Ultralite,the best available at the time,my one isnt far off my Anthem weight.These Kings were around £3k!

Indeed they were - pretty crazy when you think about it, and a URT design that lasted just one more season. Fully kitted out they are a beast of a bike but I'd take the 4 bar linkage any day ;)

Re:

I`d say they were the first efficient full suspension design,I cant think of one before it that wasnt flawed or overly complicated.In 1997 this frame with a set of Z1s was on an entirely different level to anything else available.

Saw this, a bit beat up but could be a good bike again with a bit of work :)

66 triumph daytona":28mjkr4j said:
I`d say they were the first efficient full suspension design,I cant think of one before it that wasnt flawed or overly complicated.In 1997 this frame with a set of Z1s was on an entirely different level to anything else available.

:LOL: its just a single pivot design!! Have you not heard of a Horst Link!? :LOL:

Re: Re:

66 triumph daytona":3ce74igd said:

They were different but not that different. And not necessarily that good either otherwise the design woukd have lasted much longer. As pointed out, this was proper expensive back in the day and you could get a better ride for the same money elsewhere...not least down a few notches in the Kona range.

Re:

I find mine great but it is a drag on climbs but for its time the beauty was in its simplicity.It was probably one of the first do it all jack of all trades.I got mine used in 2000 and its went through only one set of bushes so far.Prior to these frames I cant think of any other long(ish)travel full susser that wasnt a full on downhill bike.Ive gotta lot of love for these things.Before the King I had an RTS2 that I could never get on with and a Sintesi full susser that went through more bushes than Ben Dover.

Back