Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:56 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:05 am 
Old School Grand Master

Quote:
I assumed this was a hand built frame

Hand built in Canada. Nice bike, was £650 new iirc & I remember them being sold off at half price. I really like them, but this is silly money

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:08 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

CTK wrote:
Quote:
I assumed this was a hand built frame

Hand built in Canada. Nice bike, was £650 new iirc & I remember them being sold off at half price. I really like them, but this is silly money

They were half price were they, i remembered them being heavily discounted, but that certainly explains why so many got parted out even at the time, i know "Ricci" in Cornwall stripped a lot at the time, the campag was being sold in the MBUK adverts at OE prices and below.

Last edited by sinnerman on Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:20 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Actually, it makes sense really, Ricci was always big with the roadies, and Look did struggle with there MTB image hence why they were so heavily discounted and so quickly, a brand held in such high regard with the road bike market and roadies in general. Hence Ricci having access to them given his road bike/frame inventory, and established presence in rags like Cycling Weekly etc.

I always wondered how Ricci could afford to fly to trade shows rather than drive.

Now i Know... :P

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:23 am 
Gold Trader | rBoTM Winner

sinnerman wrote:
ibbz wrote:
sinnerman wrote:
Didn't Easton have something to do with the supply/manufacture of the Carbon version, which they did for other brand names too...? it was all so long ago. :oops:

Yes It's Easton C9 tubing, same tubing as the Yeti race bikes.
Look, Raleigh and Peugeot used the same frame - hence the same one supplied to John Tomac.
Correct me if I’m wrong anyone .
And appreciate the help!
I saw this on eBay and thought I’d ask you what you think.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353136616280

For £150 I think frame and forks - I’ve messaged him to make sure.

Cool, but dont buy it if the one i have fits, you can save 150 sheets for your next project if it does.

I'm probably wrong and happy to be stood corrected. but i thought the Raleigh Tomac rode was made by Merlin using the easton e9 carbon tube, with Litespeed making one version for him too...?

Yeti, was FTW fabricating using the full carbon tube too supplied by Easton.? Where as the Look, Peugeot-Later Grisley, and lower end Raleighs, et al, shared the same frame as the Reflex which was the brand name for Easton's own in house fabrications at the time....? An alloy tube with a carbon sleeve/wrap C9, bar on the flagships which for some of the brands had a full carbon seattube e9....?

I cant be sure now.

Semantics anyway i guess.

Thanks - that’s very kind of you and I’ll wait !
As for the Tomac - I think you’re spot on and I stand corrected - his bikes were Merlin and Litespeed! Of course because of the design and Easton people get confused (as I did)
I was looking at the carbon Look Mi90 and thinking of JT homage - pretty impossible as I doubt the Tioga forks can be found anywhere and some of the other parts are rare too!

By the way - did Tomac ride a Raleigh USA badges Torus? I’ve heard conflicting accounts and debates regarding it.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:30 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

I wouldn't know to be fair, maybe a die hard Raleigh fan might know, you would think he would have had his frames made for him to fit by Merlin or Litespeed etc, could he have used and then gave his feed back which led to production bikes.? And then used for marketing purposes too. His contract with Raleigh wasn't a small sum, and they would want to make the most of him for sure. I would think this scenario more than plausible, which led to the rumour of him using one. Im sure his feedback gave way for many insights to the manufacturer for sure.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:52 am 

sinnerman wrote:
I wouldn't know to be fair, maybe a die hard Raleigh fan might know, you would think he would have had his frames made for him to fit by Merlin or Litespeed etc, could he have used and then gave his feed back which led to production bikes.? And then used for marketing purposes too. His contract with Raleigh wasn't a small sum, and they would want to make the most of him for sure. I would think this scenario more than plausible, which led to the rumour of him using one. Im sure his feedback gave way for many insights to the manufacturer for sure.

Thanks, I came across this debate after searching for some info on the Merlin and Litespeed https://bikerumor.com/2014/08/14/throwb ... e-on-ebay/ retrobike been mentioned on it a few times as reference.
That was just by the by.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:18 am 

Was just browsing bricklanebikes and saw this
https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/ventur ... et-19-inch
That looks lovely - Columbus genius - looks very nicely made

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:14 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

ibbz wrote:
Was just browsing bricklanebikes and saw this
https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/ventur ... et-19-inch
That looks lovely - Columbus genius - looks very nicely made

I don't know anything about it, but that looks really nice and not really that expensive. It's definitely too small for me ..... isn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:40 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

ibbz wrote:
Advertised for £1199 but offered £799 to watchers.
It’s a lovely condition bike - 18”. I’ve been tempted but not sure whether it’ll be too big for me and wasn’t sure whether it’s value would be in that ballpark and should be cheaper. £799 still a lot of cash

Parts alone are worth quite a bit - but bike seems to be totally original bar the tyres and possibly the saddle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254714223290

Here you go ibbz, hopefully it will fit.

Attachments:
aaa.png
aaa.png [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 170 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:44 am 

sinnerman wrote:
ibbz wrote:
Advertised for £1199 but offered £799 to watchers.
It’s a lovely condition bike - 18”. I’ve been tempted but not sure whether it’ll be too big for me and wasn’t sure whether it’s value would be in that ballpark and should be cheaper. £799 still a lot of cash

Parts alone are worth quite a bit - but bike seems to be totally original bar the tyres and possibly the saddle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254714223290

Here you go ibbz, hopefully it will fit.

Man - that .... is ........... perfect!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next