1947 - the 1st Cyclo Cross Worlds

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
In 1947 the 'Miroir des Sports' covered the 1st Cylco Cross Worlds. I recieved this article from the same person who also created the website with the TdF issues of the Miroir, going back to early 30s (view this topic).

1947-02-11-MiroirSprint-page-00-1.jpg

1947-02-11-MiroirSprint-page-11.jpg

Thanks for this Mel, very interesting. They must have been hard in those days. Short sleeve jerseys etc. in that snow. And the tyres don't look very 'knobbly' either! No wonder they're running up that singletrack. Basically their normal road bikes with side-pull brakes etc.

Old Ned":3258nxvk said:
Thanks for this Mel, very interesting. They must have been hard in those days. Short sleeve jerseys etc. in that snow. And the tyres don't look very 'knobbly' either! No wonder they're running up that singletrack. Basically their normal road bikes with side-pull brakes etc.

Yup, us 'cross riders are spoiled a bit these days - canti brakes, knobblies, ATAC pedals, etc., all of which make the job a damn sight easier. Don't think I'd fancy using a road bike with ordinary brakes!

David

Allez Robic!

Look at that - they reversed the photo on the front page!

Strictly speaking this wasn't the World Championships, but the Critérium International. The Worlds were held for the first time in 1950.

one-eyed_jim":2ttivy6s said:
Strictly speaking this wasn't the World Championships, but the Critérium International. The Worlds were held for the first time in 1950.

I'd forgotten that yesterday, but you're bang on. And Robic was the winner of that inaugural Worlds (along with Rolf Wolfshohl I think he's one of only two riders so far to win both a Grand Tour and a CX rainbow jersey).

David

Latest posts

Back