I smell a rat: Alan Richards 653

grogee

Retro Guru
Apologies if this has been outed before, and I'm willing to be corrected, but this looks dodgy as anything:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 03&alt=web

653 decal doesn't look like it is from the right period. 'Bubbling' on (aluminium) crank?

Tell me I'm wrong...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
653 decal looks whiffy . Seat collar smacks of 501 or 531. 500EX rear mech and brakes. Rusted out campagnolo headset from sweat. Bitsa bike handmedown from a club

$_57.JPG

Re:

Never mind the sticker, what the hell is going on with that saddle and rear brake cable :shock: :LOL: :facepalm:

mike

Midlife":15lju4ln said:
Looks like a generic 1980 ish frame, or am I missing something?

Shaun

I think you are Shaun,

You're missing the chance to own a right POS! :LOL: :LOL: ;)

mike

Re:

The "seat collar " is cast into the seat lug, these as still available to frame builders and have been for decades , so its not a dating evidence . I`m 100% its not 653.

Re:

And like wise , you cant identify a tube set by lug work , but at the very least we should get our terminology right and learn to identify seat lugs with cast fittings or even pressed lug work, with or without "ears" , those using brassed on seat binders . Non of these are "seat collars", a term which refers to a separate loose clamp or a brassed on fitting .

Back