Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:49 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:30 pm 
Retro Guru

Anybody read this article in the Derby Telegraph? Rider called Scott Shepherd from Derby who had a mountain bike crash and hasn't walked or talked for 10 months now. Very sad, but reminds you of how dangerous this sport can be sometimes.

Just wondering if anybody on here knows him?

Last edited by SantaHul on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:58 pm 
East Midlands AEC
East Midlands AEC

No, not heard of him. Very sad. Hope he makes a strong recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:07 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Very sad. I hope I'm wrong but the injuries and his current state sound very much like the state my friend has been in for the last 25 years following a car crash.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:36 pm 

Hey guys, thank you for enquiring about Scott following his accident last year. I am his sister so able to give you the most accurate information (the derby telegraph misprinted some of the things I told them again this week)

Scott is, as you rightly say, still in a very serious condition and is likely to be for a very long time. He is healthy generally but has very serious injuries to his brain which kept him in a coma for nearly 5 months and still classed as minimally concious.

It means a lot that people are out there supporting him, and as we know what a fighter he is, we are positive that he will one day be able to walk and talk (although we do understand that this will be a very long time if it is to happen - ie decades rather than months)

Ioncewasgood - hope your friend is still continuing to make progress after 25 years, never give up hope, technology is improving all the time and the brain is so complex they are always learning and recovering.

Please keep following Scotts progress and the work of the Trust at www.riderdown.co.uk and thank you once again for the support. Any questions please feel free to ask x x x

Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:34 pm 
East Midlands Deputy AEC
East Midlands Deputy AEC

Hi Lisa. Thanks for getting in touch. The very best wishes to Scott and all of you. Now that we know of riderdown we will follow his progress.

Best regards,

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:38 pm 
Retro Guru

Yeah we're right behind you Lisa. Like the sound of that special bike you're getting made up for him, bet he can't wait to be riding again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:12 am 

unfortunately it is very unlikely that Scott will ever ride again due to his injuries, although if he does ever want to again, we wil do everything we can to help him do so.

The bike we are getting him at the moment will be one he can use in bed/wheelchair which will help his general fitness and mobility for the future.

I have always believed though to 'never say never' who knows what is down the road and what scientific breakthroughs will be made :)