Cheap & cheerful BMX

Pickle

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I fancy a BMX to mess about on.

Would like it to be tidy if poss, but doesnt have to be mint.

Not looking to drop a lot of cash.

Whats out there?

BMX

Hey Pickle!
Did that GT in bendycats thread inspire you?
Dont have anything for you but theres some nice machines out there at reasonable prices. Keep an eye on radbmx as well as theres a couple a day usually show up.
Just dont get addicted, as if you think retro MTB prices are crazy wait till you see bmx.
Good luck with the search
Jamie

oh dear - I have a Raleigh Super burner sitting around not doing much...

(bendycateleventeen will shoot me though)

i have a no name frame and forks, kicking around, it has been rattle can sprayed black, but i think its a ok underneath, flog it for the price of postage if interested, has canti mounts. pm me if interested

Re: BMX

Jamiedyer":1mqxlitl said:
Hey Pickle!
Did that GT in bendycats thread inspire you?

Is it that obvious :oops:

I used to ride a BMX loads BITD, no racing or owt, just messing, jumping, bunny hops and the like.

Seeing that mint GT just made me want one again.

I'll follow up AK's lead as he's only in town, but if its doesnt come to anything I'll shout Matt.

Cheers all ;)

it of course depends on what parts you buy and from where . i had £400 in a rear wheel years ago but you could pick something up for a tenner much like mtbs

am i right in guessing your of average height ? 5.10 ish ? look for a frame between 20.5-21 toptube . unless its really old , bikes back then had very short toptubes

frame-
forks- either 1" or 1.1/8" depending on frame . 10mm or 14mm depending on what hub
headset - again inch or inch eighth
stem-ahead for eighth or quill for inch . all around 55mm
bars- go for around 8"
seatpost- will likely be 25.4 or if its older 22.2
cranks- 3piece , profiles keep their value . i use prolites which cost £70 new and are near enough copies of primos
bottombracket- american size most likely
front wheel - 48 or 36 spoke . 10mm or 14mm axle
rear wheel - likely to be 14mm if the frame has 14mm slots . if the frame has chainstay ad mounts for the brake you might not be able to fit a chainring larger than 44t-16 without the chain rubbing the brake . if the brake is on the seatstay you could have whatever gearing you like . 44-16 , 39-14 a 14t freewheel requires a flip flop hub unless you get a cassette hub . old cassette hubs will almost certainly have had a hard life . odyssey makes a 13t freewheel that fits a flip flop hub and gives 36-13 . below 12t on the cassette and it turns into dedicated drivers where the sprocket is part of the freehub body , these go as low as 8t
chain- 3/32 is race . 1/8 is normal . 3/16 was a point in time where we used scooter chains , best left to the past :LOL:
brake- called ad990 after the ubiquitous dia comp brake that uses stud pads ( like a canti ) there is also a hombre that is the same except for V type pads . you could pay from £10 - £80 for a brake . a £10 hombre will be fine . if the frame is older and lacks the posts itl be a caliper brake

the rest is all fairly obvious and standard bicycle size

i have an old diamond back frame painted red you can have for nowt . quite heavy

Even though i'm flogging some BMX's i'd go for a 24' BMX. They are suitable to us more mature gents! I raced them BITD and are awesome! Kids dont laugh at you either when they see a 6ft child doing bunny hops in the street!

:LOL:

Back