WTD Merlin Titanium Rear V Brake Studs

Spotbike

Dirt Disciple
After 15 years of sterling service, one of these hasgiven up the ghost :(

Anybody able to help me find replacements, please?

Cheers

RIMG0001.JPG

Think you'll need M10 x 1.5 thread pitch like my 1996 XLM.
I tried Merlin first but they sent the wrong size, ended up getting some 6/4 Ti ones off e-bay. They weren't perfect as needed the shoulder machining down by 2mm so the pin on the rear of the brake would locate in the hole.

A frame I bought came without the brake studs, the LBS sorted me out for nowt, just make sure you take the old ones with you...

Spotbike":37gyycso said:
Nope - not the 1.5 pitch, I'm afraid. :(

How old is your frame?
Compare your old stud with the 1.5 thread pitch stud - is yours coarser or finer thread?
If it's late '80s / early 90s then probably the imperial size Merlin used so contact them, or if it's very late 90s then most likely industry standard 1.25 thread pitch which your LBS should stock.

Dave.

Well this is turning into an interesting saga!

Frame is Serial no 10800 bought new Oct 1994.

It's a 17.5" Mountain.

It's definitely not a 10mm thread.

I took the remaining stud to an engineering supplier and he couldn't match the thread - but thought the closest match was UNC/UNF.

He pointed me to a small precision engineer who spent a considerable amount of time measuring and trying to match threads - his conclusion also was that it was UNF but that it seemed to fit between 16 and 18 pitch. He said there was no 17! I was goingto ask him to turn me a couple, which he will do - but obviously we needto be sure of the thread!

Merlin USA say they only have M10 x 1.25 or M 10 x 1.5 - but it's not either of those. I'm waiting on a further response from them, since there must be somebody there with access to records?

Thanks for your positive suggestions so far!

Back