18" decent steel mountain bike frame/forks

ChrisFerg

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build a touring bike for a trip from the UK to Japan, leaving in the spring. I had a frame I was pretty excited about, but just found out that the tube has flared so the headset would be loose, which seems like a problem for such a big trip. So, i'm looking for something to replace it!

I need something steel, preferably of decent quality, and preferably with fittings for fenders and racks (although i think for the front rack I might be able to bodge something). I'm 5'8", so i think i'd need an 18" frame?

Currently based in Brighton but can travel about a bit (will be making a trip to near bristol and swansea in the near future too.)

Thanks! :)
Chris

Bombproof quad butted Giant Terrago? Ticks a few boxes and will be very strong and very cheap!

Frame and forks only - maybe a few extras

file.php

I've got an 18" 1990 Scott Boulder frameset (f+f, seatpost and stem). Has eyelets for fenders and a rack in the rear, for fenders in the front.

Looking for 70 € shipped to your place.

Re:

Not local but happy to ship, I have a mid nineties RockHopper frame with matching forks in a very dark burgundy type colour, lugs are present and paintwork is excellent. Almost a complete bike with the chrome STX groupset, but happy to split if it’s just the frameset. Pm me with your email for photos though always struggle posting here.

Thanks so much for all of your responses! I'm spoiled for choice! :) I've PM'd most of you - IWish, those are suspension forks right? I need rigid forks, so some of the complete framesets others have offered me would probably make more sense, although the Merlin frames do looks very nice!

Thanks again,
Chris

Go for something midrange as the tubing is thicker - it will make it stiffer under load and so handle better. Those above look brilliant choices. I know of a couple of people who have done round the world on Rockhoppers.

Thanks hamster, that's really useful :) Yes they all look good to me, just trying to figure out which might fit me best... I've gone from being pretty gutted about my old frame to very excited about the exciting new options pretty quickly!

Back