I need Hope...pt2

firedfromthecircus

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Cleland Fan
Feedback
View
Gauging by the success of the other Hope thread I was wondering if the hive mind could educate me about a later era of disc brakes?

I'm interested to know what disc brakes were around in 1997. I got my first set of disc brakes in 2011 so I only have some vague recollections of seeing discs on bikes back in 97. I know the team MBUK Hecklers had Hope Big Un front hubs and some kind of Hope brakes. What other brakes were available at the time? What other hubs? And were they any good?

Re:

Thread thief!! :eek:

I'd like to know this too, so I've not much to add to this thread, other than to say that in my opinion Hope brakes have always been good, although my eexperience of their brakes only started in around 2005 with Mono Mini's, then Mono M4's and then Some monster V2's.

Re: Re:

jimo746":2p6dd3k7 said:
Thread thief!! :eek:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, or something like that! :LOL:
Besides, it's not a theft, it's an homage! :p

I got my first discs in 2011 but didn't get my first Hope discs until 2014, so I'm well clueless!

Re:

Well, as there's been no other replies.... I know Hope discs were around in '97, not sure which models though, perhaps C2 and Sport? Were the mini's around thrn?
No doubt there's a timeline type affair on the Hopse site to confirm this.
I'm sure I recall Formula and Magura disc brakes at that time too, but when did the "Big S" launch their modern disc brake range?

I was still using V's and Magura rim brakes at this time, so I can't remember who made what and when...

Re:

Got my first set of discs in 2000 but the bike they were fitted to was a sale item from the previous year so in 1999 Magura Louise disc brakes existed. :cool:

Cheers.
So C2s or Louises for calipers. What about hubs? I know about the Hope options. What did you have with the Maguras Velo?

Re: Re:

velomaniac":3ptj9i4s said:
Got my first set of discs in 2000 but the bike they were fitted to was a sale item from the previous year so in 1999 Magura Louise disc brakes existed. :cool:
That's good news for me. I have a set of Louises. Thanks.

Magura hubs with supersmooth cartridge bearings and I still have them. Polished alloy, 36 spokes, 6 bolt rotors, 8/9 speed rear hub. Annoying fact is you have to use Magura discs as aftermarket non magura discs do not fit. The bolt circle diameter is international standard but the internal diameter of the rotor is narrower to fit flush with the magura hub. Basically Magura has made you use as much of its kit as it can. My rear hub needs rebuilt a wee bit but its nearly complete. Personally I'd go with shimano or hope hubs or even more weird Grimeca 5 bolt hubs which are another older option or Giant MPH Disc brakes.

Re:

I e got everything you need, Hope C2's with numerous clamps / short / long rear axles with 5 bolt disks. #1 / #2 / #3 Calipers...

You might just need to find some seal kits and more patience than I have!

Back