Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:01 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:09 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Yayyyyy!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:17 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Mrs. allenh Falcon Westminster

As its an open month I thought It's add this one.

This is the Falcon Westminster I lend to the Wife. I bought and painted it so that gives me certain ownership privileges (well as long as she's not in earshot)

I could have gone the full period route with this one but thought Falcon never stuck to a specification so why should we so it was built exactly as requested by the rider

The build brief was, I want it purple, I want a comfy saddle, I don't want drop handlebars and I want to go easy up hills and fast down them, so madam received exactly what madam requested.

It's a Falcon 531 frame painted silver with a candy purple lacquer over the top and then clear lacquer over that once I'd applied the decals, Campag Mirage triple chainset, mechs, hubs and BB. Wienman centre pull brakes and Mavic MA40 rims so some quite nice retro kit and is quite light and a nice thing to ride. Oh and the big yellow bell is an audible and visual warning to the pedestrians on the promenade to get out of the way.

Typically it's an overcast September morning so no matter how many photo's I took I couldn't capture the paint's candy shine that pops out at you in the sunshine so this is an older picture. I might replace the photo if the sun does pop its head out as the bike now has purple pedals, chainring bolts, jockey wheels, saddle, handlebar grips and skewers. Edit Updated pictures taken

Rest assured if the diminutive purple popstrel Prince had owned a bicycle it would have been this one.

Attachments:
IMG_20180909_123713.jpg
IMG_20180909_123713.jpg [ 456.87 KiB | Viewed 1888 times ]
IMG_20180909_123732.jpg
IMG_20180909_123732.jpg [ 465.45 KiB | Viewed 1888 times ]

Last edited by allenh on Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:45 am 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Very nice Allen, love the purple, the tyres are fun as well. Shame it’s inadmissible without a shot of the owner holding/riding :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:33 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

PeachyPM wrote:
Very nice Allen, love the purple, the tyres are fun as well. Shame it’s inadmissible without a shot of the owner holding/riding :lol: :lol: :lol:

Difficult that one, she's so fast every time I try it all I get is a purple blur at the edge of the frame

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:05 am 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

Needs a purple saddle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:22 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Nob wrote:
Needs a purple saddle

Its got pretty much purple everything now including the saddle but as it says in the write up this is an old picture as there just wasn't enough sun to take a decent one of it yesterday.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:29 pm 

Here is my 1971 Carlton Corsa. Ive had this machine for about 18 years now. Its very much a favourite of mine and is used for light touring and commuting. This machine is largely original save for a decent pair of wheels (Wolber Super Champions with Record hubs), B17 and a Shimano Golden Arrow rear mech. This frame is 21.5" and uses Truwel tubing and Crespera lugs.

The machine was in a very tired state when I got it, having been left out under sheeting for a number of years. The bike is presented in sympathetically 'restored' condition.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:38 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Spokesmann wrote:
Here is my 1971 Carlton Corsa. Ive had this machine for about 18 years now. Its very much a favourite of mine and is used for light touring and commuting. This machine is largely original save for a decent pair of wheels (Wolber Super Champions with Record hubs), B17 and a Shimano Golden Arrow rear mech. This frame is 21.5" and uses Truwel tubing and Crespera lugs.

The machine was in a very tired state when I got it, having been left out under sheeting for a number of years. The bike is presented in sympathetically 'restored' condition.

Very nice, I've always had a soft spot for Carlton's of this period as this was the sort of machine that was about as a cheap and plentiful 2nd hand bike when I was a kid, not so now if you have one in as nice a condition as yours.

I did a similar Corsa myself a few years ago but mine was the light green and black and I have a small lilac Corsa frame in the garage along with an earlier Criterium and a later Corsair that are complete bikes and in the restore queue.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:56 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Location: Gorleston-on-sea (If there is a bright center to the universe this is place furthest from it
allenh wrote:
Mrs. allenh Falcon Westminster

As its an open month I thought It's add this one.

This is the Falcon Westminster I lend to the Wife. I bought and painted it so that gives me certain ownership privileges (well as long as she's not in earshot)

I could have gone the full period route with this one but thought Falcon never stuck to a specification so why should we so it was built exactly as requested by the rider

The build brief was, I want it purple, I want a comfy saddle, I don't want drop handlebars and I want to go easy up hills and fast down them, so madam received exactly what madam requested.

It's a Falcon 531 frame painted silver with a candy purple lacquer over the top and then clear lacquer over that once I'd applied the decals, Campag Mirage triple chainset, mechs, hubs and BB. Wienman centre pull brakes and Mavic MA40 rims so some quite nice retro kit and is quite light and a nice thing to ride. Oh and the big yellow bell is an audible and visual warning to the pedestrians on the promenade to get out of the way.

Typically it's an overcast September morning so no matter how many photo's I took I couldn't capture the paint's candy shine that pops out at you in the sunshine so this is an older picture. I might replace the photo if the sun does pop its head out as the bike now has purple pedals, chainring bolts, jockey wheels, saddle, handlebar grips and skewers. Edit Updated pictures taken

Rest assured if the diminutive purple popstrel Prince had owned a bicycle it would have been this one.

Very nice and unique 8)

Attachments:
4491939.jpg
4491939.jpg [ 66.14 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:42 am 
Old School Hero

Spokesman wrote
Quote:

Someone said last months poll was a hard choice, but this months is just as difficult. I must admit that I do have a soft spot for Carlton’s, but the range of colour and bike condition this month will make it all a very difficult choice. This proves once again that the retro bikes can still stand out in the crowd. Good luck to all this months entries.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next