this I think is the true heart of the matter. it was trendy to hate on the corporate giant that is shimano for a while. "I'll be an individual(just like all my friends) and get something other than shimano". reeks of trying to be cool, and trying to be cool seldom is
One of the smartest posts in the thread so far. Nail, head, bullseye.
So a third of the members on here are trying to be cool?
I have news for you, we are men riding push bikes! 99.9% of the human race think we're just weird. So from what you and hollister are saying, I along with many others on here are trying to impress you?
Gets better and better.
I think someone can say Shimano sucks if they have that opinion and prefer to use some other equipment SRAM, Dia Compe whatever... But I'd like to know why
But if you go out and buy Shimano stuff and use day in day out is it 'not cool'?
So are the guys saying 'it's not cool' users of other stuff?
If not - It's doing the job for you and you chose it...?
- Personally I think Shiamano have made some fab kit that looks great and doesn't cost a stupid amount
And they have innovated time and time again - HyperGlide is my favourite Shimano innovation or is it the freehub or maybe the wheel bearings AT THE ENDS of the rear axle... the list goes on and on (BTW the last are Shaimano patents before somebody claims otherwise)
But as I say if someone wants to feel some other way about good luck to them - choosing alternatives, which do exist
Although how and why does Shimano suck? I've yet to read a sensible explanation of what's (universally) uncool about Shimano
In my original post I said: '80s -'90s all below LX is uncool and later all below STX uncool
My reason is: the cheaper groups are too heavy
But all else is cool, therefore Shimano cool
- Also the fact that Shimano make stuff at ALL price points while not being perceived as 'cheap' that is business and marketing genius
- They have achieved it I beleive, by making the groupset's name into sub brands
Note: we say it has XT/XTR/LX or whatever, no need to say Shimano
Back on topic:
Certainly I do not think you can say 'it sucks' while freely buying and using it how could you explain that?
Those who are saying uncool should try explaining themselves! Lets have a debate!
_________________'89 Specialized Stumpjumper Team
- '8? Klein Mountain Klein (WiP) - '89 Puegeot Scorpion 531 - '90 Look Mi80 - '91 Britsh Eagle something or other XT
- '92 Specilaized Hardrock - '93 Saracen Race Elite
- '93 Specialized Stumpjumper (stolen!) - '94 GT Zaskar LE Frame sold on RB - '95 Univega Alpina 508 XT - '97 Cannonadale Super V 1000 Freeride - '97 Cannondale M900