Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:35 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:02 am 
Retro Guru

I'll jump right into the story, so if you don't like tear jerkers feel free to pass this one up.

Almost 5 years ago my wife's really close friend was killed while riding his bike in Brooklyn, NY where he lived. His name is Keith Alexander. He was riding on a popular bike path that runs along the water when a boy on rollerblades lost control and swerved in front of him. In order to avoid hitting him Keith went headlong into a cement barrier, he wasn't wearing a helmet.

I never met Keith, but after I met my wife I became really good friends with his widow. She still had many of his belongings, including his Look frame that she had bought him. After making a cycling connection with her she asked me what she should do with Keith's old frame. Since I wasn't a big road biker I asked her if I could see the frame. It was gorgeous. She had asked me what she should ask for it if she was to sell it. I told her not to. Keep it, forever. She asked me if I would be interested in it, so at least it would stay close by. I said I would be honored to by it from her. A few weeks later was my birthday and she GAVE me the frame :shock: :shock: :shock: I was not expecting this. I've never even owned a serious road bike. Wow. I felt an immediate strong connection to the bike, after all it was owned by a very amazing person.

The frame still had the original carbon Look post and fork, seat collar, Ultegra fd, cane creek headset, and selle italia saddle. He had it built with Ultegra and Mavic Ksyrium wheels. As a tribute I built it similarly with the latest Ultegra and Ksyrium SL wheels Thomson stem, Ritchey bars, Deda tape. A straight forward, solid build I can ride for years to come. I took the frame to a local shop and used a fit cycle to determine my best riding position on the Look. Although the frame is ever so slightly small for me I was able to fit on it quite well. It rides with inspiration, accelerates with gusto, and has the soul of a rider who never gives up.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:17 am 
Retro Guru

Sad story but great looking bike. After reading the story, I was expecting to see a bent fork or something left over from the accident. Did you need to repair the bike?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:24 pm 
Retro Guru

Shortly before his accident all of the main components of the bike were switched over to a Specialized frame because the look was too flexy for the his 250lb hard riding style. He crashed on the Specilized, this one was hanging on the wall at the time.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:33 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

sad sad storry... but what a nice frame. Looking (no pun intended!) into getting one at the moment. Any news you would like to share on the frame?

Gonna use it for La Marmotte this summer. So hoping to be able to build it kind of light...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:39 am 
Old School Grand Master

I can only echo the sentiments previously mentioned, sad story but lovely bike.

I should add, the pics are good too - something which i am jealous of!

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:43 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

+1 for the pics