Centresport from Port Talbot (Woodrup)

allenh

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Next up in the bikes I intend to get at least started during lockdown is this Centresport from the bike centre in Port Talbot. Its not a shop I'm familiar with so can anyone with any info educate me on this one?

It seems to be a nicely made frame if more than a little corroded so it's going to take a fair bit of work to get it looking presentable.

Attachments

• csport-01.JPG
    csport-01.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 1,099
  • csport-05.JPG
    csport-05.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,099
Re: Centresport from Port Talbot

I've had this frame a fair while and as it had Dura Ace EX decals on it dived into the bits boxes and came out with a few early Dura Ace bits I'd collected so these will be the basis around which it gets built. I'm short a few bits (brakes etc.) so I'll be on the lookout for those but its a start.

If I can I always build bikes up and use them a bit before painting them to make sure everything I'm intending to use works before stripping it all down again and getting busy with the polish.

Attachments

• csport-02.JPG
    csport-02.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 1,093

And here is the assembled bike ready for a quick spin but before being broken back down to be painted.

So yes I did have the original forks but they were already out for the frame before I took the picture of the frame and these probably won't be the wheels I'll use for the finished bike as they're Normandy hubs in Wolber rims. I do have a pair of large flange Shimano hubs here so I just need to find some suitable rims to go with them.

Attachments

• csport-04.JPG
    csport-04.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 1,094
  • csport-03.JPG
    csport-03.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 1,094

Good to see some early Dura Ace :). Frame looks like a Woodrup with those seat stays. Designed originally for a pro rider but seat stays made it to production frames.

Thanks I'll have to see if I can complete the group for it.

I wondered if it was a bought in frame rather than a shop built one. Some history on it and the shop would be great and I'm going to try and get the decals re created if I can.

I'll have a go at posting a pic of mine..

https://www.cyclechat.net/attachments/s ... pg.426035/

s-l1600-jpg.426035

Yes it does look very similar doesn't it, are they Campag long fork ends on yours? And I'll have a look to see if I can see the number on mine properly, I know there is one so I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

Yep, campag ends, mines probably a bit earlier than yours with my fork rake. Holdsworth 531 special had similar chamfered seat stays but we're slimmer. Still can't remember the name of the track rider lol.

Edit. Found this quote from Kevin Sayles about my frame

"Kevin Sayles Most definately a Woodrup. It has our signature 'chunky' seat stay top treatment we called DH tops after the late former UK Pro champion Danny Horton. and yes we used to crimp the stay tips that way when the tubing wasn't heat treated. I'd say mid to late 70s "

I'll have to send him some pictures and ask the question then.

I got a decent picture of the number and its pretty distinctive as K0795

Attachments

• DSCF4345.JPG
    DSCF4345.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 1,026

Got a bit further with this one. Removed what was left of the original decals a week or so ago and it really is a scruffy thing so I get the feeling this ones going to take a lot of elbow grease and chemicals to get anywhere near to presentable.

This must have been left outside or in a very damp shed for a long time to get this bad.

Attachments

• DSCF4444.JPG
    DSCF4444.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 794
  • DSCF4445.JPG
    DSCF4445.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 794

Latest posts

Back