Merlin Restoration Project

TeamEndurame

Dirt Disciple
Hey

Here is my Merlin that's to be restored. Think its early 1970s, perhaps someone could confirm. Its Reynolds 531c throughout and shod in Campagnolo Centaur 10-speed except for the brake calipers which are Mr Controls (anyone have experience with these?) and the front hub which is a Schmidt K179 Dynohub. Where would the serial number be on such frames? I've checked the bottom bracket shell and cant see anything unless its hidden underneath the cable guide.

The frame itself is solid but does have some surface rust on the cable guides on the top tube, around the bottom bracket shell and around the drainage hole on the driveside chainstay.

Planning on sending it back to Bob Jackson to have a respray and then, once rebuilt, use it for Audaxing.

Attachments

• Merlin.jpg
    Merlin.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 831
The under BB guides, fork crown and short looking rear dropouts makes it a bit later than early 70's usually.

Chamfered in seat stays were also a bit later unless it's a Holdsworth 531 Special in disguise...

Merlin name was finally dropped by Bob Jackson in 1987 according to the Classiclightweights web site.

Re:

I was just asking myself the same question, but I cannot draw the same conclusion from what I assume is the relevant quote from Classic Lightweights JRJ/BJ page:

"The Merlin name lived on into the 80s and was used in the 1987 catalogue."

That doesn't rule out the name having been used in later catalogues as well, it might just mean that the writer has not seen the later catalogues?

At any rate:

Things we didn't usually expect to get (or want) in the '70s- or at least not until the late '70s, because they were mostly yet to be introduced:
531c tubing/decals
Under bracket cable guides
Allen key brakes
Short dropouts
Seat tube bottle cage bosses

So to me the only thing about that bike that says 'seventies' is the resolutely non-flambuoyant one colour enamel, but that is I believe a sort of distinguishing feature (if you can call it that) of Merlins.

The frame number could well be under the cable guide, if it is one of those plastic ones, (another thing we didn't have in the 70s). It should also be on the steerer tube. Have a look..

Latest posts

Back