Geoffery Butler 531st Touring bike

fossala

Retro Guru
Hello, I haven't been on here in months but my latest find dragged me back. I think this is a 90's Geoffery Butler bicycle, cost me 32quid of ebay plus postage. No wheels but I have a set of a bicycle I crashed the other week. Any more info on G Butler on the bicycle would be great. I plan on getting it painted if the paint is too bad, we will see when it turns up on Friday.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 1,349
Re:

Excellent! I spotted this and put it in the ebay watch section on here - glad it's gone to a good home. £32 is a great price for a pedal bike.

here's what Roadking had to say on an earlier thread:

Geoffrey Butler is a long established bike shop in Croydon, Surrey...
Butler's never built their own frames - always sourcing from reputable trade builders like Holdsworth(I have a Cliff Shrubb built GB).

It does look quite Holdsworthy-ish. I've read on a few forums that the current GB shop isn't very helpful regarding information on old frames but you never know...

Look forward to seeing some pictures of it built up. ;)

It was from here that I found it, listed as pickup only but he was willing to box it up for a courier. Thanks for that mate! Should be built up into something useable by next week unless something pops up like a seized BB or overly rusty. Don't know what size it is but I'm guessing 54-55cm.

As for history, the guy got given the bike by his mother in law to sell to raise some money for a kid on the way.

No problem - it's good to know my post wasn't in vain! ...nor my pointless trawling through ebay looking for "pushbikes" and "man's racer" bargains I'll never buy... :facepalm: ...Although it does amaze me how someone can have something in front of them that says something like Dawes Galaxy on it in big letters and think "...hmm, green bike."

I thought the GB looked in pretty good nick aside from the bent mudguard and lack of wheels. Fingers crossed for no nasty surprises. It doesn't look like it's been left outside or anywhere too damp or the saddle wouldn't been in such good condition.

Your identical post in the Retro Classic Road section confused the hell out me! I was looking at it just now thinking I'd maybe imagined this whole correspondence or somehow stupidly deleted my post! :oops:

Re: Re:

nonowt":33amuv8n said:
It does look quite Holdsworthy-ish. I've read on a few forums that the current GB shop isn't very helpful regarding information on old frames but you never know...

Is there any way to check or tell who made the frames?

not sure. I guess any frame number will match the sequence of whoever built it - so you might be able to cross reference it with, say, Holdsworthy's number system. But if they sourced from a number of builders that might prove tricky. Plus, as GB were simply badging up other peoples frames they probably wanted to keep the frames true origins vague.

I was just reading about late '80s/90s FW Evans frames and saw this that might be relevant:

Their own brand frames were then farmed out to Orbit but quality control issues meant that they later transferred production to Nigel Dean. Orbit and Dean supplied own brand bikes for several London shops, it wasn't an unusual arrangement. Dave Yates made frames for Condor after Dean closed.

so that could be two other possibilities

OK, the frame is in my possession now. It is rusty but nothing other than bad surface by the looks of it. It will need a new paint job.

It has some very intresting seatstay lugs, maybe this can help with identifying the maker? Hopefully someone has some infomation on the lugs because I have never seen them before and I spend way too much time on the net look at nice touring bicycles.

Attachments

• 6fJQMWf.jpg
    6fJQMWf.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,122
Weirdly, I spotted someone at the traffic lights this morning on a lovely late 80's/early 90's Roberts frame that had very similar seat stay lugs but that was very much a road frame. I don't remember seeing such lugs before but maybe the only stood out after seeing your picture above and there more common?

I wouldn't have thought that Roberts built your frame though.

It has no serial number that seems strange. Well not on the bottom bracket shell, anywhere else to look?

Back