Budget Winter ride

Plus one

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Since I'm guilty of spending too much on pretty much every bike I've built this is a definite cheapo :D

90% of the parts I've had lying around and pretty rough so ideal to make some space and have a proper pub/shop/hack :cool:

Picked up this track end road frame set £20 :D not a clue what it is bar a number under bb ..

53.5 square 120mm ends and 1900g butted fork 730g

I've removed the rust and gave the bare metal a coat of lacquer(it's all I have) not buying paint :roll:

Like the rat look

Anyway I reckon it'll cost me sub £40 all in fingers crossed :D

Untitled by Plus one2010, on Flickr

Winter budget bike by Plus one2010, on Flickr

Mystery frame indeed, but what a bargain, even with the dent!

Shouldn't be too hard to identify because it's quite distinctive. Wrapover seat stays and double bottle cages suggests better quality and mudguard mounts with track ends suggests it's reasonably old. Fixed gear tourer maybe? Carlton?

Jonny69":3mspw8jj said:
Mystery frame indeed, but what a bargain, even with the dent!

Shouldn't be too hard to identify because it's quite distinctive. Wrapover seat stays and double bottle cages suggests better quality and mudguard mounts with track ends suggests it's reasonably old. Fixed gear tourer maybe? Carlton?

Thanks handy input .. I'm not too clued up on road tube sets/detail/lugs etc ..Having a look around the internet this may be 531c or similar..

Doing the fingernail flick along the tubes suggest very thin walls and stays seem butted too :cool:

Plus one":ojmd4nrj said:
Thanks handy input .. I'm not too clued up on road tube sets/detail/lugs etc ..Having a look around the internet this may be 531c or similar..

Doing the fingernail flick along the tubes suggest very thin walls and stays seem butted too :cool:
The size of the seat post should give away roughly what steel it is. Approximate rule is:
25.4 = plain gauge steel
~26 = Reynolds 501
27-27.2 = Reynolds 531
26.4 = 1930s Reynolds 531

Jonny69":2v4ssz5b said:
Plus one":2v4ssz5b said:

The size of the seat post should give away roughly what steel it is. Approximate rule is:
25.4 = plain gauge steel
~26 = Reynolds 501
27-27.2 = Reynolds 531
26.4 = 1930s Reynolds 531

Thanks Jonny it's looking like a real bargain now .. 27.2 seatpost :cool:

Hopefully throw it together next few days I only need a spare hour :facepalm:

biggs682":249xmrix said:
nothing like a good budget build , nice frame indeed

Thanks Biggs :cool: I'm actually getting just as much fun/satisfaction(maybe bit more) building this as I get throwing money I know I'll never get back on a build :roll:

Took me ages to add up the total spend ;)

I had most of the bits and few bits I've bought cost(inc frame) I'm in for an eye watering £37.97p :LOL:

Back