Are Retro bikes more liable to get stolen?

MikeyK

Retro Newbie
Hi All,
Newby to the forum as am seeking advice/guidance please.

Son of ours has recently moved down to London and is getting sick of travelling on the tube so he has asked if he can have my old bike that has been hanging in a dry garage for getting on for 28years (terrible I know, but I have had other bikes). Looking through the forum I have concluded that it is a c1984 Raleigh Cadet 10 in Panasonic Colours (but if anyone can confirm that would be great) I bought it second hand off Wifey's cousin arounf 1985 and used it to ride c35miles round trip over the summer months before changing jobs but have hung onto it for sentimental reasons (that is a cover up speak for being a hoarder who won't part with anything!) I spoke to the original owner yesterday and he didn't change anything so I am 99.99% sure it is original and considering its age it is not looking too shabby and just needs a bit of tlc.

Have booked it in for a service by a professional this weekend and have forwarded bike restoration photos/videos to the Son and told him I expect it to look something like new when I next see it (I know it won't).

However is there an increased risk of retro bikes being stolen? I am quite happy for him to have it but if it is going to get stolen the first time it is parked in public I am a little more reluctant and would rather give him the £100 (assuming it may be worth something like that) towards a different one.

Cheers

MikeyK

Attachments

• IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_1096.JPG
    IMG_1096.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_1095.JPG
    IMG_1095.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_1098.JPG
    IMG_1098.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 815
No increased risk. About the same as any other entry level bike, I'd reckon.

If it's left outside, particularly overnight, use TWO D locks to something secure to be 100% sure. Preferably two different types of D lock.

There are three kinds of bike thieves in London:

1. Those that steal anything.
2. Those that like shiny stuff
3. Those that know what they are stealing.

Racers...ahem...road bikes - particularly fixies are bike de jour in London at the moment. But providing it doesn't look too bling at the end of its makeover, and is locked up with very good locks, ideally among a load of others and not overnight - it should be OK.

Personally, I don't rate d-locks, I prefer the motorcycle style cable ones from people like Abus as you can wear them belt like around your waist:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-granit-ste ... bike-lock/

Agree with having two locks though. My second lock is Aldi cheapie just for the front wheel. Whichever lock you have - don't attach to bike (while travelling) where it can soak up crap/get wet inside the mechanism. A drop of oil every so often also keeps it happy.

The only bike I ever had stolen in London, I was mugged for. I don't think I was targeted because of the type of my bike.

Just bear in mind you can quickly snip through even a large cable with nothing more than a pair of side cutters.

Edit: the braided type, that is, not a linked one like that Abus.

Re:

Cheers Guys, advice noted. I won't be buying any locks until it gets checked over this weekend then think I will need to source a couple of new tyres but Thanks again.

MikeyK

Back