1985 Mercian “King of Mercia” 531 bike like new!

harryhume

Retro Guru
Hi all

A friend of mine mentioned she still had her late husband’s bike in the shed and would I have a look at it as she wanted to sell it on. I expected a total heap.

So I was pleasantly surprised when a very original Mercian was wheeled out and even more surprised at how little it had been used. After a good clean and rebuild it’s looking spanking gorgeous.

It’s full Campag Victory with Suntour Superbe brakes, Brooks saddle and Cinelli bars/stem.

The only things which hadn’t weathered so well were the brake hoods and bar tape, which I’ve changed to Dia Compe hoods (not a perfect fit but pretty good) and Cinelli cloth tape.

As she wants to sell it I’m going to set up a separate thread to get an estimate on prices, but for the moment take time to ponder how many other mint bikes there must be out there waiting to be cleaned…

Attachments

• Mercian 10.jpg
    Mercian 10.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,444
  • Mercian 7.jpg
    Mercian 7.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,443
  • Mercian 6.jpg
    Mercian 6.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,443
  • Mercian 5.jpg
    Mercian 5.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,443
  • Mercian 4.jpg
    Mercian 4.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,443
  • Mercian 3.jpg
    Mercian 3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,444
  • Mercian 1.jpg
    Mercian 1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,444
That is a beauty. Did he ever ride it?

Looking at it you'd say nos or repro, it looks that good.

I think he did ride it, but the rear rim doesn't even have marks on it, so I assume he didn't ride it very far - the brake pads have hardly any wear.

Fortunately he did cake it in grease so all I had to do is break out the white spirit and polish. Oh and make sure I didn't scratch the paint.

Had I not been such a stubborn person who wants to prove a point on a cheap Raleigh, I would have been very interested.

Latest posts

Back