Newbie with a Raleigh and a question

Marbo

Devout Dirtbag
First of all hello.

I haven't rode a bike for about 20 years, but thought it would be a good idea to do the London-Paris ride. After reading through comments on other forums stating that I could not get a bike good enough within my budget to complete the trip (apparently I need to spend at least £800 but preferably over £1000) I developed a FU attitude. I am now the owner of an old green and white Raleigh Equipe, I had the earlier grey and white one as a teenager.

The bike is in fantastic yet not entirely original condition, it seems that the previous owner had looked after it well and upgraded it rather than restored it with new parts.

Now to my question. It seems that the only original parts left are the frame, forks and bars, so is it acceptable to change the colour and badge it as something different i.e a Kelloggs or banana etc?

Attachments

• 19589529-643-640x434.jpg
    19589529-643-640x434.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 838
IMHO it would be fine to change the colour and sticker it up, as far as I am aware in the main at that level of bike that's all Raleigh did to. And the Raleigh frame numbers tell you no more than where and when it was made not what it was.
As for the L to B ride I have never heard such rubbish. And if that were true how the hell any one would finish the eroica which is all pre 1987 bikes I don't know.

Maca":3vstskum said:
As for the L to B ride I have never heard such rubbish. And if that were true how the hell any one would finish the eroica which is all pre 1987 bikes I don't know.

Exactly this is why I ended up with a 25 year old bike. As a kid we would be out every day in the summer hols doing about 25-30 miles a day without a thought and defiantly no prep, not even a puncture repair kit between us.

As for the colour I want an iconic design, that would be a talking point. It's not to deceive anyone I just think the equipe is a little forgetable.

I always liked the banana colours, and I think it's still possible to get a replica jersey.

Which leaves another choice, replica or pro? lol

Hi Marbo, my Raleigh Equipe tale was very similar to yours - and my Equipe was the same livery as yours too. I couldn't afford a proper road bike at the time so I set about reworking my wife's old Raleigh which had hung up in her dads garage for the best part of 15 years.

Mine did a 300+ cycling holiday in Normandy for the 2013 TDF and is making it's return to this years tour taking in 320 miles this time around taking in the landing beaches of Normandy. Hopefully my pictures will load up (awkward site this sometimes) and you'll be able to see my Equipe. I had it shot blasted and Powder coated by a local firm who do a lot of work on frames and it came out beautifully - only cost about £40.

I've replaced almost every component over the last couple of years but they never cost too much, and the more you hang around this site the more you pick up! I guarantee it'll serve you well en route to Paris, mine easily matched my mates' Specialized, Kona and Cube bikes - and the old French dudes loved it too.

I've often thought if I should re-badge it up with some Raleigh transfers, or if I should have it resprayed another colour but to be honest it's be the same old bike regardless and it's been a real workhorse.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 09.35.40.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 09.35.40.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_0842.JPG
    IMG_0842.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 762
Always nice to see an 18-23 Steel Raleigh

Colour wise, you World is your oyster;

Raleigh TI

Raleigh Panasonic

Raleigh Banana

These all had variants from 18-23 tubing right up to Reynolds 753, so they 'work' given the starting point.

So much choice out there, and H Lloyd (http://www.hlloydcycles.com) do most of the decals for the above, so you can finish it off nicely. (just don't add Reynolds decals as I have seen elsewhere!)

Re: Re:

shed":29jmq8fg said:
is it just me or does it look like a miniature bike against the bricks

:LOL: yes it does. The photo was taken near Leeds where I picked up the bike. Those Yorkshiremen can't handle normal sized bricks with their gorilla like hands ;)

Back