!933 Sun Wasp, new project.

Boscarn

rBotM Winner
Here is the latest project, it is a 1933 Sun Wasp that needs a lot of attention and sorting out. At the moment, it is soaking in Plus Gas and WD40 whilst I consider my options, as far as I can make out it is mostly original, but any comments and help gratefully received.

I have found a couple of articles on this bike and have included them below.

Please have a look and pass on your advice, if you have a spare set of front brake shoes for old Resilion cantilever brakes, please let me know. I do have an idea to modify some 72mm MTB shoes or blocks to fit whilst the search continues.

Attachments

• Sun1.jpg
    Sun1.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 1,402
  • sun7.jpg
    sun7.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 1,399
  • sun4.jpg
    sun4.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 1,398
  • Sun2.jpg
    Sun2.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,398
  • SuntestL.jpg
    SuntestL.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,400
  • sun8.jpg
    sun8.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 1,397
  • sun wasp ad1.jpg
    sun wasp ad1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 1,399
Re:

Terry, I have looked and the frame number is BW854, well it looks like a W. I have looked on the net, but there seems to be little info an dating Sun Cycles.
I hope that my restoration will look as good as yours.

Re:

Hi, it is a 1935 then, my Sun has an 'AW' serial number which is the financial year 1934/5, the 'A' being the date key, so your 'B' is 1935/6, and the hub points to 1935 so I think we can safely call it 1935. My Sun isn't a full restoration, its just been cleaned up, polished, paint patched and parts just cleaned or bought at jumbles to make it look the part, it originally had a worn set of cyclo gears on. Just take your time, parts do appear, the resillion brake pads do turn up now and then, so be patience, but use alternatives if they do the same job as the single pad. Terry

Terry, Thanks for the info and help in dating the old beast, I wonder should I start a new thread or can I edit the title?
I will keep looking for some brake shoes and blocks, I have made some to fit to get the bike road worthy. I will discover more that needs attention after it is all in bits........
Out of interest which Cyclo gears were fitted to your bike, I have been playing with my fathers Cyclo Ace gears.

Re:

Hi, just the bog standard 3 speed thing with twin cables, nothing like your Ace, I've enjoyed that thread, and the lovely job you've done on the bike. Terry

Fascinating looking machine, hope to see more of it as the build continues.

Yeah, great looking machine and looks very original. Love the Lauterwasser handlebars.

Love the advert on p.13 of Cycling - that guy all smartly dressed with his head down :D

Back