Paris Rochet - 1940s/1950s

dafyddp

Retro Newbie
This summer we went on holiday to France. My holiday reading was Tim Moore's Gironimo, so not surprisingly, a visit to a brocante resulted in me buying this bike, with romantic notions of restoring it and doing a bit of a tour of my own.
Roll on a few months and I've got as far as cleaning it up a fair bit, but there's still quite a lot to do - not least, sorting out the wheels.
The hub bearings are very worn (with lots of play), the rim is damaged on the front wheel (see pic) and the spokes could do with freshening
I don't know masses about the bike, but i believe it's a Rochet Paris from the late 40s/early 50s. It's got a four speed rear cassette with a Simplex mech.
A particularly interesting feature is the gear lever on the top tube rather the usual down tube.
The dimpled aluminium/alloy mudguards are pretty neat, as it the unusual chainguard
The front light/dynamo don't work as far as I can tell (not least because the wires have been cut)

Although I love the idea of restoring it, I have to confess to possessing second-rate mechanical skills, so unless I pay someone to to it for me, it's likely to stay this way for now. With that in mind, I'm now thinking of selling it (I want a turbo trainer for winter), but don't really have an idea of whether anyone would be interested or what value it might realise.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dafydd

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 897
  • montage.jpg
    montage.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 897
Re:

I agree with removing the mudguard and the rack but there's something really nice about the chain guard in my opinion. Very industrial looking.

Great looking bike though!

Lovely machine! I adore the top tube derailleur - apart from the obvious routing issues, I don't know why more bikes didn't have them located there! Out of interest, what does the crank arm have stamped on it? It's not a Durax is it?

I picked up an early 1950s model from an old fella earlier this year and by God do I now know the meaning of 'elbow grease!!!!'.

Well worth it though, it rides beautifully, even if the gears were not designed for anything resembling a hill.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3j31nn7rfk3b5 ... .59.05.png

Latest posts

Back